VMware Cloud Community
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

error when configuring nfs for unix or openfiler

Hello,

i need help set up NFS for esx test host. i use both openfiler nfs and windows for UNIX servers to install nfs server but no success. i have the following errors. Error during the configuration of the host: NFS error: Unable to Mount filesystem: Unable to connect to NFS server note: do i have to configure anything special on esx host from service console? i have installed nfs components and mounts already.

checks done:

i can ping my nfs server, listening on port 2049, enable nfs client firewall on esx host

anyone know where steps by steps to implement nfs or openfiler for nfs to work from a-z.

thank you for helping

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should double check your settings and proceed again, enable NFSv3 with ESX 3.x is very straight forward. To install NFS using Windows Services for UNIX do the following:

On NFS Windows 2003 Server:

1. Download the component on microsoft.com

2. Copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/group password from ESX 3.x hosts to windows c:\etc\ folder.

3. Install it on your windows 2003 server and choose "custom" option and choose "User Mapping service" and point to the to those 2 files in c:\etc\

4. Use Windows for Unix administrator console add "administrator" and "root" and click "Apply"

5. Create a share such as "d:\data\sharefolder" and click on "NFS Sharing" tab and change to "read/write" option and allow root access.

On ESX 3.5 hosts:

1. enable NFS client firewall settings

2. chkconfig for nfs and portmap autostart level 235 as mentioned

3. create network porgroups as (SC, VMotion, Production, Test, iSCSI, NFS) make sure you use different subnet for NFS/iSCSI traffics.

4. You can customize your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files to accommodate access restrictions. such as (rw,async,no root squash)

5. Restart your NFS daemon.

Notes:

You use VI Client to add NFS storage wizard->server name or IP (that is your nfs server) and (mount point) such as /sharefolder and than give it a label "NFS LUN01) something like that.

Double check your credentials, permissions, and settings and test ping them.

Nothing else I can think of at this point if its not working. Anyone welcome to jump in.

Best Luck!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

chkconfig --level 345 portmap on

chkconfig --level 345 nfs on

service nfs restart

You are mounting this on the VM kernel port group correct?

Message was edited by: Chamon

vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i've tried the commands and still have this error:

starting NFS mountd: cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = connection refused.

Starting NFS Daemon take so long and didn't do anything.

i researched and should i configure fstab and edit /etc/hosts.allow & deny file

can you explain logic steps need to have nfs working with esx?

i did:

1. download windows services for unix and installed it

2. copied /etc/passwd and /etc/group files and pointed during installation of windows services for unix

3. add administrator and root account on windows for unix administrator console

4. enable nfs client firewall and give chkconfig --level 345 both nfs and portmap on

5. created windows c:/iso shared folder and grant permission rw already

what else on esx should i look at

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You are adding this with the add storage wizard in the configuration tab of your ESX host correct?

If not make a connection to VC or the Host with the VIC and go to the configuration tab. Click storage and then add storage. Choose the network file system option and continue with the wizard.

0 Kudos
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i use the wizard and add it NFS and specified server IP and mount point and nfs label name and click finished but then it takes awhile and gave some error not connecting to nfs server as mentioned. should i configure fstab, /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow anywhere? pleaseeeeeeeeeeee help

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Sounds like the server with nfs is configured wrong. On the Linux box /

etc/exports file how do you have it configured? This is the Linux nfs

server

On Apr 10, 2009, at 3:18 PM, vmwareluverz <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is possible that this is a rights issue. Your ESX server will be using the credentials of its root account to authenticate to the NFS server. Does the NFS device allow access to the root account from your ESX server? If the passwords on each device are different you may need to look into the 'no root squash' option on your NFS device. If you open up the NFS share on the NAS device is your ESX server able to connect?

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should double check your settings and proceed again, enable NFSv3 with ESX 3.x is very straight forward. To install NFS using Windows Services for UNIX do the following:

On NFS Windows 2003 Server:

1. Download the component on microsoft.com

2. Copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/group password from ESX 3.x hosts to windows c:\etc\ folder.

3. Install it on your windows 2003 server and choose "custom" option and choose "User Mapping service" and point to the to those 2 files in c:\etc\

4. Use Windows for Unix administrator console add "administrator" and "root" and click "Apply"

5. Create a share such as "d:\data\sharefolder" and click on "NFS Sharing" tab and change to "read/write" option and allow root access.

On ESX 3.5 hosts:

1. enable NFS client firewall settings

2. chkconfig for nfs and portmap autostart level 235 as mentioned

3. create network porgroups as (SC, VMotion, Production, Test, iSCSI, NFS) make sure you use different subnet for NFS/iSCSI traffics.

4. You can customize your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files to accommodate access restrictions. such as (rw,async,no root squash)

5. Restart your NFS daemon.

Notes:

You use VI Client to add NFS storage wizard-&gt;server name or IP (that is your nfs server) and (mount point) such as /sharefolder and than give it a label "NFS LUN01) something like that.

Double check your credentials, permissions, and settings and test ping them.

Nothing else I can think of at this point if its not working. Anyone welcome to jump in.

Best Luck!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos