VMware Cloud Community
nateast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

compatibility requirements

Hi,

I want to experiment with vmware ESX 3.0 or ESX 3.5. I'd like to download the trial version, install it on a workstation NOT a server.

I'm thinking about buying the HP Compaq dx2400.

It has the following specs:

Intel core 2 duo E7400 processor

4GB memory

80 GB SATA drive

Will I be able to install vmware ESX 3.0 or 3.5 on this? I'm not asking whether Vmware will support this. I'm asking if this will work.

If it doesn't work what are the best options:

Can I install vmware workstation and then install vmware ESX inside of that?

Can I install a SCSI controller and Drives on the workstation or would I be paying so much for this that I'd be better of buying a server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dependant upon your chipset possibly but there would be a fair amount of faffing around trying. I would recommend installing VMware Workstation and then installing ESX into that. There are several good guides around, one of them here or just google it

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dependant upon your chipset possibly but there would be a fair amount of faffing around trying. I would recommend installing VMware Workstation and then installing ESX into that. There are several good guides around, one of them here or just google it

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I personally would recommend the ESX install on Workstation. If you go this route, you can also set up things like OpenFiler, a second ESX host and just about whatever else you would want without requiring additional hardware. The ESX on Workstation is an excellent approach for testing, working up Visios and generally just learning the product and its capabilities.

I currently have two ESX hosts, a storage appliance and a Windows client all as virtual machines on a Dell laptop with 4Gb memory, 80Gb SATA drive and Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 and it works quite well. It won't set any speed records, but it works.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would definatly go the route of buying a known good white box setup, or going the route of using VMware Workstation. The main worry even though the specs seem to be fine is the SATA controller. You can always try to install ESX on the physical hardware and if it doesn't like your controller you could always reload window/linux and run it in VMware workstation.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
nateast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for answering my question!

I'm new in this community and didn't know you can only have one correct answer. So I apologize for not picking you.

0 Kudos
nateast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for answering my question!

I'm new in this community and didn't know you can only have one correct answer. So I apologize for not picking you.

0 Kudos
nateast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for answering my question.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

nateast wrote: I'm new in this community and didn't know you can only have one correct answer. So I apologize for not picking you.Welcome to the boards by the way, but even though you can only give 1 correct answer

you could always give vmroyale helpful points which are always appriciated

• Kyle

0 Kudos
nateast
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's done by clicking on the "helpful answer" button. Correct?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yep you got it.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
zaharmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have successfuly installed ESX 3.5 on HP dx2400 (E2200, 4GB, 250GB) + external 1Gb Intel NIC (built-in NIC was not recognized). You just need to enable IDE mode for built-in storage controller.

I have no time to test stability, but I successfuly finished installation.

Message was edited by: zaharmd (added screenshot)

0 Kudos