VMware Cloud Community
Dalmata71
Contributor
Contributor

ams1000 Hitachi storage and Hp Eva in VI 3.5

Hi,

a few days ago I entered in my datacenter a new storage AMS1000 in addition to a Hp Eva.

My problem is that although I have assigned higher lun id , when ESX power on, trying to mount this one. ( my esx mount normaly a filesystem at startup, formatted in ext3, on a Eva).

More precisely I've lun id EVA : 1-10 instead lun id Hitachi: 11-20.

I've noticed that the lun of Eva are shifted , therefore esx see lun of Hitachi before,and then lun of Eva. ( workaround should be modify /etc/fstab , but I don't prefer this solution)

When I remove FC cable, the Esx power on and when I re-plugged, in the VC lun seems to be all right.( after a rescan).

The problem therefore is at startup...are there any setting on storage /switch to resolve problem?

Thx

regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Check this thread - maybe it can help:

http://communities.vmware.com//message/1185029#1185029

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

The current SAN topology defines which array comes first. In the end, it does not matter because the paths go to different target IDs anyway. And because these are different targets, you can even use the same LUN address on the EVA and the Hitachi.

If you are using multiple storage arrays of the same type I still suggest to use unique LUN addresses if you want to introduce array-based replication (Continuous Access EVA, for example) at a later date without problems.Otherwise you might have to resignature some datastores - not a big deal if you can plan it, but why not be prepared 'for free'?

0 Kudos