VMware Cloud Community
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

after successful installed VIC3.5.0, computer cannot reboot to it

after successful installed VIC3.5.0, computer cannot reboot to it, only saw a cursor blink on the leftside top of seceen. I installed two times. the problem same.

How can I solve it?

mainboard:P5BW-LA

sata:2 harddisks. but was set as IDE

memory:3G

CPU:Core 2 Quad Q6600 (K) 2.4 GHz 1066 MHz front side bus

Chipset: Intel P965

Video Graphics GeForce 7350LE 128 MB DDR memory

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you are right. I just installed esx-3.5.0-64607. Now, what can I do?

First of all, try disabling the RAID, and use plain SATA.

This might work.

If it does, you're in luck; if it doesn't, theres not much you can do except get a supported SATA controller

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

continuing:

first, I set my sata as RAID. but , in the list of harddisk, I cannot find my RAID which is integrated on an Intel ICH8. it asked me a RAID driver disk.

in the list of harddisk, there were some others RAIDs. so, this VM version can install on RAID.

so, I set it as IDE.

0 Kudos
postfixreload
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Find a supported server...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well the VIC 2.5 doesn't install any Os level stuff. I think you installed something or made changes previously, installed VIC 2.5, and THEN you rebooted, and now you are having problems.

Its coincidence. VM Ware isn't to blame, something happened to your system, but the VIC install doesn't even require a reboot, unless you tried to install .NET stuff, didn't follow the instructions to boot, installed VIC and then chose to reboot after everything was done..

Either way, the VM Ware software didn't hang your machine.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What exactly are you talking about?

In the thread you're mentioning both VIC and a 'VM version working on RAID'.

Any decent server uses a RAID controller, this does in no way imply it will work on your SATA RAID.

You question doesn't make much sense.

I guess you are actually talking about ESX 3.5.

You'll have a hard time getting it to work on a selfbuilt system, and if you really want to, try to stick to the compatibility list where storage is concerned.

Your SATA RAID probably just isn't supported; and IDE definitely not (you might get ESX to boot, but you will not be able to create a VMFS on IDE)

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

I'm a new comer. I just scane some pages here. I don't know both ESX3.5 and VIC3 are different.

thank you again!

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First of all, try disabling the RAID, and use plain SATA.

This might work.

If it does, you're in luck; if it doesn't, theres not much you can do except get a supported SATA controller

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I wll buy a RAID card that is supported to try it again.

0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran in to a similar issue trying to test ESX 3.5 on a server with only a SATA controller. It was using the sata_nv driver which IS inside ESX 3.5 already. However ESX only has support for a few (hardware RAID?) sata_nv cards. What I was able to do was install onto the disk then boot into the Service Console.

If you are able to get this far then here are your next steps to try:

1. Determine the SATA controller driver that was used by the install (for example, sata_nv)

2. Then inside the service console issue the command: lspci (this will show you the SATA controller PCI ID)

3. Edit the appropriate driver XML file in /etc/vmware/pciid to add the PCI ID of the SATA controller. Here is an example of what I added for the sata_nv driver of my controller which had an ID of "07f0" according to lspci:

4. Run esxcfg-pciid from the service console to rebuild the ID maps

5. Reboot and attempt to load ESX server

This allowed me to test ESX 3.5 on normal SATA hardware that already had the driver inside ESX 3.5 and allowed me to install using the driver. There is another large thread outlining these steps. But I could not find it. Hope this might be of help!

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is this for test purposes only which I believe so because you're new to ESX so no chances managing production. Anyways, if you want to test out ESX 3.0.2 features configure your machine to run Windows XP professional and install VMware Workstation 6.0 on top of it and than create ESX 3.0.2/3.5 hosts on it and VI Client 2.0.2/2.5 on play with all the features you want. Depends how big your SATA drive are, you can setup your SATA as iSCSI storage using OpenFiler and rock solid.

You can play almost anything with your current hardware configurations unless you want to just load ESX 3.5 on top of that machine than you pretty much limited to single host. If you use VMware Workstation 6.0 solutions than you can create multi ESX host farm and do HA, DRS, VMotion if implemented right.

www.xtravirt.com has great information how to implement workstation 6.0 on windows xp. Also read guides from www.vmware-land.com for extensive readings.

Hope that helps!

Google: igeeksystems@gmail.com

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos