VMware Cloud Community
NewVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

after installation

hi all,

after i finish installaition on the server

do i need to do the script installation?

thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have a Virtual Center 2.x installed? This is required if you want to connect an ESX host to a Virtual Center with a VMware License Server running which is holding your licenses.

You could also use host-based licensing for the ESX host: Host -> Configuration -> Licensed Features -> License Source: Edit... here you can point to a suitable license file.

Regards,

Christian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Which server? Which installation? No you do not need to do the script installation. But if you want things to get done automatically it's nice to have. Also desaster recovery will go easier...

0 Kudos
NewVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for replying

i mean ESX3 server, finished installed on the console with CD and then from my XP machine i logged on to the server through the vcenter, configured the storage and network after that i couldnt create new vmachine when i tried to.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
bister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you create a datacenter in VC where you added the ESX host?

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's most likely the licenceing.

You need to point your new ESX server to the existing licence server (maybe on your VirtualCenter).

Then you'll be away.

Go to the configuration tab of the new ESX server and look at the licenced features. Click edit to change as required.

0 Kudos
jurajfox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You won't be able to create a VM until you have a legit license either through VC or host based.

0 Kudos
NewVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

actually, during and after the installation i didnt prompt to enter license, or serial key. it could because i already have the Vcenter installed with other 2 ESX server version 2.5

any idea?!.

thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
bister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have a Virtual Center 2.x installed? This is required if you want to connect an ESX host to a Virtual Center with a VMware License Server running which is holding your licenses.

You could also use host-based licensing for the ESX host: Host -> Configuration -> Licensed Features -> License Source: Edit... here you can point to a suitable license file.

Regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
radhika1780
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you have virtual center 1.x mangaing ESX 2.x hosts, then you cant manage ESX 3 server. Its better to use server based licensing that is :

After upgrading from VC 1.x to VC2.x , go to Administration-->License server and give license-server address which you have configured during installation.

It is recommended to install VC server and license server on same machine.

Message was edited by:

radhika1780

0 Kudos