VMware Cloud Community
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will ESX run as a VM under WS/Fusion?

I have the ESX server installed under Fusion, have the VI client and converter running, but I'm unable to start any VM's on the ESX - It just panic's the server and shuts it down.

This is a follow-on from this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/117712?tstart=0&start=0

Can ESX (3.5) run, for testing purposes, inside a virtual machine? It seems to install, but doesn't run.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For lack of a better word, VMware Workstation / Fusion will have to be fixed to allow you to start a VM on ESX that is running as a VM. At this point you can only run ESX 3.5 / 3i as a VM but you can't start a VM on them. You can with ESX 3.0.x.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
O_o
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are multiple threads about this in the community.

It can work on WS 6, don't know about Fusion/

HERE[/url] you can find some whitepapers for installing it on WS 6

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you reply O_o, and the link the the xtravirt site, but neither there or on here has anyone confirmed that you can run ESX 3.5 as a VM.

Xtravirt only talk of running 3.0.1

Anyone know?

0 Kudos
ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can install ESX 3.5 as an vm also you can join to Virtual center, create a vm also possible but when you power-on the created vm you will get an error and your ESX server will shutdown.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hehe, I know ponpalani2001, that's why I posted the question, asking if it's possible to get the 3.5 ESX up and running properly. Obviously if it just keeps crashing then it's not.

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bump.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bump.

Regards

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bump

Regards

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For lack of a better word, VMware Workstation / Fusion will have to be fixed to allow you to start a VM on ESX that is running as a VM. At this point you can only run ESX 3.5 / 3i as a VM but you can't start a VM on them. You can with ESX 3.0.x.

0 Kudos
Mors
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent! Thanks for the answer Dave, much appreciated. At least I finally got an answer either way! I guess I'll have wait for a future version that supports it.

I don't know if you know whether they are planning to support this in the next release? It kinda rules out testing without actually installing it on it's own hardware, which is kinda against why we virtualize...

Regards

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The beta for WS 6.5 is out... Haven't had time to try it, but maybe this version DOES run ESX 3.5 as a VM properly (with the ability to start VMs)? Anyone tried it yet?

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've tried 3.5 and 3i with the public beta. With 3.5 I get a PSOD and with 3i I get the some crash error when starting a VM. The settings in the VMX have changed and it seems they still have a bit of work to get this working - http://communities.vmware.com/message/882955#882955

0 Kudos