VMware Cloud Community
Danfall
Contributor
Contributor

Will ESX 3.5 run on a Dell OptiPlex GX520 ?

This is being done for test purposes only.

The DELL GX520 is configured with a 3GHZ Pentium P4, 3Gig RAM, 40GB SATA Hard Drive and DVD/CDRW.

Intel Pro/1000 MT Server Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter, Intel 915 Chipset

I understand I can install ESX3.5 on a Sata drive and boot from it but will I have any problems creating a VMFS datastore on it?

If I can't use the Sata for VMFS, what are my options?

If there is documentation on this already could someone direct me to it. I did multiple searches but came up with not much..

Thanks

Danfall

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had a Adaptec Sata controller that i used for test purpose, i was able to install ESX with it but i wasn't able to create a datastore in it, but there are SATA controllers that work well with ESX, just search a little bit in our forums and you'll find as answer

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Danfall
Contributor
Contributor

Well I tried installing ESX 3.5 on the GX520 this evening and the result was as expected - no VMFS partition to

in stall the VM's on. How ever at least it recognized all the hardware and i was able to boot ESX 3.5 cleanly and

log in with the VI Client. Now just a matter of attaching a drive for the VM's. I'll search for controller and drive as you

suggest. Might a jump drive work? How about an ESATA card and drive? Any other suggestions? Will keep you posted,

Thanks,

Danfall

0 Kudos