VMware Cloud Community
andy2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WiFi Compatible cards.

Hi again, guys and happy new year... for all of you.

Has anybody mounted any ESX 3.0 wifi network infraestructure?

Due to different circunstances, I'm not capable to install wired connections from my ESX server to electronic network devices (ADSL and broadband routers).

I would need to know:

1) What type of WiFi cards could I install (vendor, model and interface type such Usb or Pci) based on your own experience?

(I'm aware Wifi is not the ideal solution for servers networking, but it's compulsory in this case; the main applications won´t be critical).

2) Does anybody mounted any wifi infraestructure within ESX servers?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, thats not working. WiFi cards are not supported on ESX

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
r_lam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, thats not working. WiFi cards are not supported on ESX

0 Kudos
jb12345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Would Workstation with ESX be an option for you? Workstation does work with some WiFi.

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Alternatively, you could set up a Wi-Fi Access Point in bridged mode. Basically, you use the access point "backwards." Instead of "transmitting" your LAN onto Wi-Fi, you'd be using the access point as a "receiver", the same as a Wi-Fi NIC is a "receiver." You just plug the normal wired NIC into the access point. In essence, what you've done is you have two wired LANs, but you link them with a Wi-Fi connection. Then not only can you use ESX with a supported wired NIC, you can also attach many more NICs (from ESX or other computers) just like you would any wired LAN.

0 Kudos