Some info can be found here.
If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
for your questilon
ESX is a hypervisor which have VMkernel proprietory of vmware for management they brought RHEL 3.0 update 9 console we called service console it is just like linux console you can manage you ESX server through command line.
ESXi (embedded)= i stand for integrated esxi coming with OEM Vendor hardware as a preconfigured wihtin a SIMM based flash chip. however you just want to enable esx when booting with BIOS your hypervisor is ready withing seconds. Moreover it doesn't have any service console (i.e RHEL 3.0 management module). but you can manage esxi through command line use RCLI download from VMware.
ESXi one we know preconfigure just like above also you can download .iso file for ESI from VMware site (installable)
other questions(thank you guys):
1) If install ESXi on my DL 385, can i create a cluster or only with ESX?
2) With sas disk of my DLs, can i share the space between them? For es. installing ESX standard in my DLs, can i have HA or VMotion without a SAN?
3) With ESXi and a enterprise license, can i create a standard vmware cluster with DRS, HA, VMotion? i can't understans the difference between esxi free and esxi commercial
Thank you really,
have a good day
1) Yes also ESXi can be part of a Cluster.
2) No you can't share internal storage. So HA, Vmotion and DRS needs shared storage of some sort. iScsi, FC.
3) If you have the Enterprise license for ESXi then you can use DRS, HA and Vmotion. Again the share storage is a need.
// Lars Liljeroth
*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!