VMware Cloud Community
needhelpfr
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware software for test RAM

Hello,

I will install for first time ESX 3.5 from scratch.

I followed “the formation of infrastructure 3 of Vmware: Intall and configure” during which the trainer informed us on the need to examine the RAM during 3 days, specialy the whith 64 or 128 G.

I hopelessly seek the soft on the site of vmware to test the RAM, the trainer indicates to us to employ it instead http://www.memtest86.com.

Somebody can indicate to me where I can find it.

Thank you for advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Go to www.memtest.org and download the bootable iso memtest. Boot server using this and test memory.

Regards

John

needhelpfr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Does any VMware's solutions to test memory ?

Cordialement,

Anthony

--

0 Kudos
jrenton
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not that I know of. All documentation I have seen has suggested using 3rd party tools to test the memory blocks.

0 Kudos
stgepopp
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

since 3.0.1 (i think) there is a service called ramcheck. You can start that with:

service ramcheck start

Logs will go to /var/log/vmware/ramcheck.log and ramcheckerror.log

Have a look to:

regards

Erich

0 Kudos
daikyu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

nice! thanks erich

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Memory is a result of your vendor. Assuming you have a server class machine (a la on the HCL) the memory that's included with your server is ALREADY fully tested, been through a battery of tests, and is guaranteed to be the best quality, which is why server machines cost more, better components.

Memory coming from Viking or Kingston are reputable, any other manufacture may not be. That's why so many vendors are picky about where you buy memory, and only buying additional memory from the vendor for their machine is the only way to upgrade, because they can account for the reliability.

Barring this, even standard memory PNY, Corsair, Crucial, etc.. are still good, and you shouldn't need to test it. Most computers include a basic memory test which is sufficient. And even those are done with 48 hour burn in and any problems will occur long before you get the memory.

In short, memory test programs are not necessary if you buy good memory to begin with.

0 Kudos