VMware Cloud Community
jkgraham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VirtualCenter transistion from 2.0.2 to 2.5

Question on transistioning from VirtualCenter 2.0.2 to 2.5. We are not migrating the database as it has not been heavily modified. We are okay with losing performance history. We are starting with a new database.

We have a new box running VirtualCenter 2.5 and a new license server. An empty cluster has been configured. All we need to do is transistion the ESX hosts that are currently being managed by VirtualCenter 2.0.2 to the VirtualCenter 2.5 box. Since this is an "upgrade" I want to go over the sequence of events for doing this transistion. We cannot have any virtual machines go down. Some reassurance would be great. Sequence below.

1. Disable HA and DRS on current cluster managed by VirtualCenter 2.0.2.

2. Remove each host using the"Remove" command from the VI Client 2.0.2.

3. Add hosts to VirtualCenter 2.5 Cluster using VI Client 2.5.

This seems to be a simple procedure. No VM downtime should be expected. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think your plan will work without any issues.

As you said, just disable DRS and HA on the old ennvornment. You won't be able to remove a host from VC if it's in a cluster, unless it's in maintenance mode. What I would do is, in your new enviornment, just click on add host, that will disconnect the host from the 2.0.2 enviornment and add it into your new, with no downtime to any VM. You will get a message saying it's being managed by another VC instance do you want to proceed, just say yes.

my two cents.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Here is a straight forward sequence:

1. Download all packages and patches for VC 2.5/ESX 3.5

2. Create new or restore your database and also database for Update Manager as well if you plan to use update manager.

3. Record all database taks and jobs and settings if you have to replicate same tasks to new server

4. Install fresh version of VC 2.5 and reconfigured your license server to read your new license

5. Disable your HA, DRS in a cluster.

6. Migrate all VMs to other ESX hosts (you should have done designed with N+1 model or at least 75% capacity for enough resources)

7. Remove ESX from VC 2.0.2 cluster and fresh install of ESX 3.5 and than add it to newly created VC 2.5

8. Add ESX 3.0.2 hosts using VC 2.5 and than migrate VMs one by one and do the same procedures until everyone installed and migrated.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
jkgraham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I follow you all the way to step 6. We have no other ESX hosts. There are 3 ESX hosts that will me removed from the old VC2.0.2 environment and added into the VC2.5 enivronment. From what I understand this will not stop any of the virtual machines from running. They will just move management environments. There are no resources pools, custom alerts...

The ESX boxes are running 3.0.2 and should be managable by VC2.5. Once the cluster is up and running on VC2.5 we will the update the ESX 3.0.2 hosts to 3.5 one at a time.

Does this help clarifiy what we are doing?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think your plan will work without any issues.

As you said, just disable DRS and HA on the old ennvornment. You won't be able to remove a host from VC if it's in a cluster, unless it's in maintenance mode. What I would do is, in your new enviornment, just click on add host, that will disconnect the host from the 2.0.2 enviornment and add it into your new, with no downtime to any VM. You will get a message saying it's being managed by another VC instance do you want to proceed, just say yes.

my two cents.

0 Kudos