VMware Cloud Community
HywelB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VirtualCenter running at 100% CPU

Hi,

After doing the upgrade to VC 2.5 all seems to be okey except that vcpAPI.exe and vcpCollector.exe are running at 100%. I asume that this is because it initiated a analysis in the consolidation section. Does anyone know whats wrong? and how i can stop it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Hi

Same issue here: vcpapi.exe and vcpcollector.exe eat all CPU ressources they can grab. I am running VC 2.5 in a VM.

Anyone experienced this as well?

Cheers,

cheeko

0 Kudos
R0v3r
Contributor
Contributor

Are you running SQL 2005 Express?

I just noticed the same thing with a local install of SQL 2005 Express.

If you run process explorer one can see msjet40.dll spawning several threads and closing them every second. As soon as the thread spawn the CPU spikes. Beyond that I do not know what to do from here as it looks like I have the latest dll.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Locally installed, but SQL 2005 Enterprise ...

Need to see if it gets better when using a remote SQL.

0 Kudos
baptista
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have similar experiences with the vcpcollector using most of the cpu most of the time, although its not locked at 100%. We are using SQL 2000 SP4 on the same machine and it is a vm.

Robert

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have seen this before, post upgrade from 2,

In the end I just reinstalled VC and let it trash the DB,

I only have a dozen hosts, so it didnt take me half an hour to recreate everything,

It was fine after that,

I use a separate SQL server,

0 Kudos
berbee
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here - I ended the vcpController.exe process and STOPPED the VMware Capacity Planner Service (don't need that anyway) and changed its STARTUP TYPE to MANUAL.

Everythings fine now...

0 Kudos
jketron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is the collection process, let it complete first and in the mean-time use your client directly to the host if you need to do something.

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

We had something like this happen to us. We had to disable the capacity planner service in services. That did the trick for us.

Respectfully,

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here,

We are running VC 2.5 Update4

Did not do an upgrade but reinstalled VC

Now after a couple of month's i get a CPU that is running at 100% for vcpAPI.exe and vcpCollector.exe for about 6 hours now.

I'am getting a lot of informational events in the application log

Source: VBRuntime EventID: 1

"The VB Application identified by the event source logged this Application VMware Capacity Planner Collector: Thread ID: 1344 ,Logged: clsLogger.FlushWriteCache: WriteCache failed with 0(70)"

It logs this event 250 in only 4 seconds and then it stops but still the cpu is at 100% !http://communities.vmware.com/message/1263374/!! Smiley Sad

Well i'am going to wait for a few hours more... and come back...

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dm330
Contributor
Contributor

Could not find a solution and had to put the capacity planner service on manuel and reboot the server.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos