VMware Cloud Community
ddakic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual-Physical MSCS (Microsoft cluster servise)

Hi,

I have 2 physical Windows 2003 servers (IBM blade / boot from SAN) and MSCS with data on SAN LUNs.

Now I won’t to migrate cluster node1 to virtual machine on ESX 3.0.1and to stay cluster node2 on physical machine.

My worry is what will happen with data on those disks/LUNs when I do RDM (physical compatibility RDM) map in ESX server?

What is the most secure way to migrate one node to virtual and to not lose any data?

THX

Dejan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the safest would be to create a 3rd node(virtual) and add this to the cluster and then evict the old physical node, rather than perform a P2V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

the safest would be to create a 3rd node(virtual) and add this to the cluster and then evict the old physical node, rather than perform a P2V

0 Kudos
ddakic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok.

Anyway I need to do physical RDP mount of existing LUNs with data on it.

Is it safe to RDP mount LUNs? I hope that i will not delete data on them.

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I agree create a 3rd cluster node and present the cluster disks as an RDM to your ESX servers that will run the virtual MSCS node.

http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/index.php/resources/35-esxserver/58-rdmvm

Mounting the disk will not delete data. While another cluster node has control of the disk it will not be visible anyway as MSCS does not allow this.

Once the cluster is online on the virtual node and you have tested this, remove the 2nd physical node if you wish.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.