VMware Cloud Community
dsolodow
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Infrastructure client issues

I am running the VIC 2.0.1 Build 35568 to connect to ESX 3.0.1 and am having several very annoying issues I hope someone can help me with.

First, after creating a new VM (and it says complete in the status window) if I try to set the CDROM to point to an image file, it says "failed due to concurrent modification". If I retry it, it works.

The second, and generally far more annoying is about half the time when I connect to one of the ESX servers, the list of commands includes all of the VirtualCenter options and we're not licensed for nor using VirtualCenter. The other thing that occurs whenever this happens is if I open the console for a Guest, it doesn't appear to connect to it as the window stays small and blank.

Restarting VIC usually corrects this, but sometimes I have to restart the client more then once to get it to come up correctly.

Any advice for removing these pesky gremlins?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

First, after creating a new VM (and it says complete in the status window) ...

never had this issue

The second, and generally far more annoying is about half the time when I connect to one of the ESX servers ...

This simply is a bug which I hope gets fixed soon

Are you sure you are running the right .NET version?

0 Kudos
dsolodow
Contributor
Contributor

The second, and generally far more annoying is

about half the time when I connect to one of the ESX

servers ...

This simply is a bug which I hope gets fixed soon

Are you sure you are running the right .NET version?

I assume you mean the .NET framework? I have 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 installed on my PC for various applications, so I assume it has the one it wants, especially as it works most of the time.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I think your problem could be the installation of .NET 3.0.... The VIC20 (Virtual Infrastructure Client v2) does not use .NET 3.0. .NET 2.0 has no issues as far as I can see. Yet, VIC20 only requires .NET 1.1

I suggest you create a VM with only .NET 1.1 or 2.0 installed and see if that solves the problem.

In addition, is the VC Server within a VM or on another Host? I had some similar problems with starting and stopping VMs until I rebalanced my ESX Server network load better.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
4sm
Contributor
Contributor

I have exact same issue with the blank consoles. Restarting VIC fixes the problem, but having a permanent fix would be better.

0 Kudos