VMware Cloud Community
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Guest has NO NIC. "Unable to Add Networks" from New Virtual Machine Wizard

I posted this exact message at Guest OS section but no answer. I also tried the search function but nothing came up relevant.

This is my first ESX server installation, so pardon my ignorance. I'm trying to create a Windows guest OS from my infrastructure Client, but in the "New Virtual Machine Wizard", it says "Unable to add Networks". If I ignore this message and continue on with Windows OS installation, the guest os will come out with out a NIC card in Windows device manager.

I checked the "Configuration" tab, selected "Networking", went into properties and added the additional "vmnic1" - there are wo in there and it see it as NextXtreme II Ethernet cards. Did I miss anything? I've attached a screen shot of the warning message.

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds like you have no VM Network port groups set up.

Goto Configuration -> Networking once you are connected to your ESX host using the VI Client.

Select the vSwitch you want to create the port group on, and click Properties. Then click Add in the lower left hand corner, and add a Virtual Machine port group. That should get you going.

It sounds like you added a physcial NIC to the vSwitch, but not the correct port group.

0 Kudos
Vmware_Moron
Contributor
Contributor

Partick, Thank you!

That was the fix. That error disappeared.

0 Kudos
Patrick_Miller
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anytime, glad I could help!!

Don't forget to award points Smiley Wink

0 Kudos