VMware Cloud Community
januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Appliance Troubles- Can't Select Vmdk

I've downloaded this GroundWorks Monitor Open Source - VMWare Appliance () I've extracted it and have it sitting within my VMware ESX Server Infrastructure. I'm creating a new VM and doing a custom install. When I get to the point to select the disk I choose: Use an existing virtual disk. I navigate to the VM Appliance's folder, but the .vmdk doesn't show up to be selected. What gives?

FYI... I can create a VM in VMWare Workstation and select this virtual appliance's disk without any problems. Are files specific withing VMWare products?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would want to rename them with the command vmkfstools -E oldname newname as the smaller file contains information about the flat.vmdk including the filename. Or you can just deleted them and reimport them - it would seem that you left off the .vmdk for the destination file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Tony, there are some file differences with the various VMware products. With ESX you should be copying the vmdk to the server with the command vmkfstools -i /source_path/source.vmdk /destination_path/destination.vmdk.

Can you post a list of files that the download comes with? It you just ended up with one vmdk file (and not a pair - eg groundworks.vmdk and groundworks-flat.vmdk) then you'd need to import the vmdk with the above command before ESX can use it.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also is the vmdk using an IDE or SCSI drive? If it's IDE, then it'll be best to use VMware Converter - www.vmware.com/converter to import the VM to ESX.

0 Kudos
januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Files in the download are:

GWMOS_51.vmdk

nvram

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmsd

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmx

vmware.log

vmware-0.log

vmware-1.log

vmware-2.log

0 Kudos
januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good point... I don't know if its a scsi or ide drive.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Look inside the VMX file and you'll know.

The disk file is a monolithicSparse disk. As Dave already mentioned you have to import it.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would need to import GWMOS_51.vmdk with the vmkfstools command. You can try the following:

1) Create a VM with a small hard drive.

2) Edit the VM and delete the hard drive.

3) Copy the vmdk file to your ESX host - say to /vmfs/volumes/storage1 (or another data store if you don't have that one). The import the vmdk with vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/storage1/GWMOS_51.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/storage1/<VM_NAME>/GWMOS_51.vmdk. You'll want to run this command when logged in as root.

4) Edit the VM and add a hard drive using an existing file and browse to the copy you just created.

Can you post the contents of the VMX file? It'll tell us if this is a SCSI or IDE drive.

0 Kudos
januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First off... Thanks for all of the replies!!

I'm working on importing the vmdk file now.

Here are the contents of the vmx file:

#!/usr/bin/vmware

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "512"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "GWMOS_51.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"

ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"

floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"

Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

Ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

displayName = "GWMOS_51_VMS"

guestOS = "rhel4"

priority.grabbed = "normal"

priority.ungrabbed = "normal"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d ea 2e 0f cc 75 8f-13 a0 68 94 c2 74 69 bd"

uuid.bios = "56 4d ea 2e 0f cc 75 8f-13 a0 68 94 c2 74 69 bd"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:74:69:bd"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's a (lsilogic) SCSI disk - therefore the import using vmkfstools should work.

januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay... I imported the disk (see below):

# vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/4721f025-edb75589-0054-0018fe728e20/GWMOS/GWMOS_51/GWMOS_51.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/4721f025-edb75589-0054-0018fe728e20/GroundWorks

Destination disk format: VMFS thick

Cloning disk '/vmfs/volumes/4721f025-edb75589-0054-0018fe728e20/GWMOS/GWMOS_51/GWMOS_51.vmdk'...

Clone: 100% done.

It was named GroundWorks and GroundWorks-flat. I renamed them both so that they have the .vmdk extension. File permisions are 600 for both files.

I created a new VM and choose to use an existing disk. When I browse for the vmdk it still isn't showing up.

I dunno...

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you rename a disk you have to modify the descriptor (in this case GroundWorks.vmdk) as well (the descriptor contains the name of the -flat file).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would want to rename them with the command vmkfstools -E oldname newname as the smaller file contains information about the flat.vmdk including the filename. Or you can just deleted them and reimport them - it would seem that you left off the .vmdk for the destination file.

0 Kudos
januismer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to Dave and Oree! I reimported the vmdk file using the extension this time and I'm in business.

Thanks again!

- Tony

0 Kudos