VMware Cloud Community
karre_79
Contributor
Contributor

Vi Client empty after installing VI Server 2.0.1 & VI Client 2.0.1 patch2

Hi!

We have installed Patch 2 for VI Server 2.0.1 & VÌ Client. After completion i can't login to VI Client using my AD account. When i logon using our admin account on the server the VI Client is empty, i can't see any Datacenters or servers. i didn't click yes on the DSN question Smiley Happy

I've tried to restore the database, uninstalled the patch. Reinstalled VI Server & VI Client.

Anyone got an idea what to do?

Thanks!

/Andreas

0 Kudos
6 Replies
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

Read the link below first if you have any VM's you are concerned with restarting when you do the below.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=75462

Once you have read the link, go to your ESX hosts at the command line, and run the following command

service mgmt-vmware restart[/b]

That will probably get you reconnected to the VC server, and they will show back up in the VI client.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Patch2 is a full install of VC, so essentially if you un-install it you are completely removing VC. Check your VC server logs for any problems with connecting to AD or the database, they are located in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\vpx. If you see a "vpxd.exe –b" in your log during the patch install or un-install then your database was wiped out.

0 Kudos
karre_79
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find vpxd.exe -b in my logs.

I get the following error when trying to authenticate.

Account

0 Kudos
karre_79
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled VC server program and created new datacenter and added the esx hosts again.

Now we're up and running again.

0 Kudos
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

Unfortunately, that seems to happen alot when a new Virtual Center patch is released.

Of the 6 or 7 times I have done that upgrade, I think I've ended up starting from scratch 2x.

0 Kudos
karre_79
Contributor
Contributor

Im not sure exactly what went wrong... i thought i've read the instructions properly. I've done 1 upgrade before and then i didn't have any problems... beginners luck perhaps!? 😃

0 Kudos