VMware Cloud Community
Virtual-Joe
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam FastSCP remote access

I am trying to remotely connect to an ESX 3.01 server via Veeam FastSCP. I am using an account other than root to connect and this is what happens:

Connecting to host 10.x.x.x using login name ****** and password *********

Searching for host 10.x.x.x

Host 10.x.x.x found

Trying to log in. Login name - ******, password *********

Login name and password correct. Connection established

Then a error dialog box stating that connect closed. Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?

I am running VC 2.x, however in order to create the user account I connected directly to the ESX Server host using the client and set the following configuration for the remote user account:

Login Remote:****

User Name:****

UID: 15

Shell Access: Grant Shell Access checked

Group Membership: Users

Secuirty Profile:

Remote Access Incoming Outgoing

SSH Client 22

SSH Server 22

Any help greatly appreciated

Message was edited by: Virtual-Joe

I was able to resolve this problem by deleting the account and recreating it anew. I believe the reason I was not able to connect was because the ESX server could not find a home directory for the user I was using to logon via Veeam FastSCP. I don’t understand why it was not able to find the home directory.

I noticed when I logged onto the problem esx server using putty; the command prompt flagged the fact that no home directory could be found for the user. When I created users on my other esx servers with identical credentials the other esx servers did not flag an issue with locating the home directory. Having deleted the user and recreating it anew I was able to logon with Putty without it flagging that it could not find a home directory, I then tried the preconfigured connection in Veeam FastSCP and this time it worked. Hope someone will find this useful.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Abaronov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Did you create a user account with VIC or Veeam RootAccess? FastScp does require a valid user name with remote shell access and access to the home directory.

Thanks,

Andrei

0 Kudos
Virtual-Joe
Contributor
Contributor

I logged onto each of the ESX servers as root using the VI Client.

0 Kudos
Negatrev
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have HA enabled on the ESX server? If I remember correctly we had an issue that Veeam didn't connect and discovered it was because we'd turned off HA due to an other 'issue' we had. Veeam actually uses the network ports that are opened up on ESX when HA is enabled. I can't remember if we couldn't log in at all, or just couldn't perform any actions. But it's worth a check either way.

0 Kudos
Virtual-Joe
Contributor
Contributor

I should point out that since creating the home directory I am able to successfully connect to the ESX Hosts and have successfully copied files from the ESX Host to my desktop.

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos