VMware Cloud Community
raj07
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VT Enabled in BIOS machines

Hello gurus,

Could you please list some laptops/desktops ( may be your machines which you run esx on) that can be VT enabled in the BIOS. Also Do Macs have these option ?

The reason why i am asking is that my present laptop which i bought primarily for testing esx do not have that option in the BIOS. And at 1.6 GHz it times out when i open VC and try to add a VM.

Thanks for any help

Raj

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Raj07

FYI, my Dell Latitude D630 with 3GB RAM works like a charm ( with VT on , of course)

rgds,

Jose Maria Gonzalez

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

-----

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There are a lot of motherboards/controllers listed on www.vm-help.com which can help you. In order to run ESX/ESXi on desktop/laptop hardware you really need a newer type of laptop, and by the sounds of no VT and a 1.6 proc I'm assuming this is a semi old laptop.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You will need a beefy laptop to get any sort of use out an ESX server especially if you have customers waiting for you while you demonstrate ESX to them.

I suggest a dual core 2.6GHz (minimum) with VT support

2GB RAM (minimum)

If this answer was helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Raj07

FYI, my Dell Latitude D630 with 3GB RAM works like a charm ( with VT on , of course)

rgds,

Jose Maria Gonzalez

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct.

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

-----

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

...Also Do Macs have these option ?...

Macs don't have a BIOS. But I believe VT is enabled because you can run ESXi in Fusion. I don't know if anyone's tried ESX3.0 on Fusion. If your primary goal is to learn & demo ESX, then you're probably better off sticking with a PC than a Mac.

0 Kudos