VMware Cloud Community
matt-brewster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware tools: not running

Hi all,

I have this intermittent issue where, according to Virtual Centre, VMware tools will stop running on a VM. If I log into the VM, the service is started and running OK, with no errors logged. After a few reboot cycles VC will suddenly show "OK" and report the correct IP address and host name.

This problem occurs on random VMs at random times, with no real pattern.

This is a real issue because it prevents me from performing a VCB backup, as the vcbmounter app cannot communicate with the VM.

I'm running ESX 3.0.2 Update 1, with VC 2.0.2 v62327, VCB 1.1 v64559.

Any ideas appreciated,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you try to remove your VMware Tools and reinstall it? Look at this thread to see if it helps.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/118795

"Reading Is Fundamental" There is no limit to education

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you try to remove your VMware Tools and reinstall it? Look at this thread to see if it helps.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/118795

"Reading Is Fundamental" There is no limit to education

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have only seen that once. It happened on a host that wan NOT in a cluster, and VM's had that same issue. What I did to fix that was;

service mgmt-vmware restart

then un-install the VMWare Tools and then reinstall the VMWare tools, then rebooted the VM. No issue after that.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
matt-brewster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a few VMs that were running an old version of VMware Tools - I have updated them all so fingers crossed!

Thanks

Matt

0 Kudos
rsissick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How did you make out with this? I have the exact same issue. The VC reports vmware tools not running and no dns information.

I logon to the VM and discover that the tools are indeed running, then the VC reports that the tools are running and I see DNS information.

Did reinstalling the tools resolve the issue? This happens to different VMs at random times and causes my VCB snapshot to timeout

Very frustrating!!

0 Kudos
tom9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you find a solution for the problem?

0 Kudos
rsissick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a work around for now. I restart the management service on the ESX hosts "service mgmt-vmware restart" about 15 minutes before my VCB backups. This resets the connection between the host and the Virtual console. I put this command in a shell script and run a cron everyday to execute it. I also use the windows SC command to restart the service in the VM itself in the pre-backup-script, I use commvault but every vendor must have a method of running a script prior to the job.

Restarting the vmtools service does the trick too. I do both (restart tools on the VM and restart Service manager on the ESX host) just in case. I am disappointed in the lack of support I got from VMWare concerning this issue. It's discouraging. I mentioned it on a support call and the tech said that he was going to pass along my work around to his other customers.. that is so lame!! Why don’t they fix the issues!

I use a pl script called snaphunter to report and commit snapshots that are leftover as well.. this helps with the VCBs also. I run the vcbcleanup script every day (scheduled) to avoid issues with mounting the VMs on the proxy. I'm seriously considering a third party solution.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
rsissick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a work around for now. I restart the management service on the

ESX hosts "service mgmt-vmware restart" about 15 minutes before my VCB

backups. This resets the connection between the host and the Virtual

console. I put this command in a shell script and run a cron everyday to

execute it. I also use the windows SC command to restart the service in

the VM itself in the pre-backup-script, I use commvault but every vendor

must have a method of running a script prior to the job.

Restarting the vmtools service does the trick too. I do both (restart

tools on the VM and restart Service manager on the ESX host) just in

case. I am disappointed in the lack of support I got from VMWare

concerning this issue. It's discouraging. I mentioned it on a support

call and the tech said that he was going to pass along my work around to

his other customers.. that is so lame!! Why don't they fix the issues!

I use a pl script called snaphunter to report and commit snapshots that

are leftover as well.. this helps with the VCBs also. I run the

vcbcleanup script every day (scheduled) to avoid issues with mounting

the VMs on the proxy. I'm seriously considering a third party solution.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
The_Ether
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For ESX 3.5 it's allegedly fixed in Update 4:

VMware Tools status shows as not running after running VMware Consolidated Backup

Cheers,

Jamie.

0 Kudos