VMware Cloud Community
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access

This may not be the right place to post this message but I couldn't find a better fit. I am trying to use the VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access interface but I get a message "VMware Remote MKS ActiveX Control not running". I click on "Install Control" but nothing happens. It also says something about changing my IE security settings, but it is not specific. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this installed?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

What version of IE do you use and do you have appropriate plugin for it. If not, please refer to this guide how to install and configure Web Access with MKS plugins.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_web_access.pdf

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You should view on page 19 for Troubleshooting of the manual.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

No, the manual did not help. I am never being prompted to download the plugin in IE and when I choose to "Install Control", the page just refreshes itself. I turned off popup blocking (I think) but it doesn't seem to help.

I installed Firefox 2.0.0.14 which prompted for a plugin install. I installed VMware WebCenter Remote MKS Plug-in 2.1.0.0 successfully but when I try to open the console I get:

Cannot connect to the virtual machine.

undefined

Try Again

I know the ESX server is working correctly because I am able to use web access from other machines on the same side of the firewall. Do I need more than just port 443 open accomplish what I am trying to do?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Do you see anything in the logs

/var/log/vmware/webAccess

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

The one log with relevant timestamps is proxy.log. It is full of java errors - way too much to type in here. Below are a couple of suspicious statements from the log:

Can't execute code from a freed script.

Unknown Source

0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

Bumping my post to the top. Hopefully someone will know what I need to do.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

A few items... Never gotten FF to work from Linux, nor Windows for WebAccess.... But they claim it works, I would open a support request with your VMware Support representative and get it looked into from that angle. It sounds like a code bug in the XML/Java/MKS layer.

Second, I would not use WebAccess unless you are using it over SSL with pre-shared keys or in a very secure location. It suffers like most SSL based authentication from a security vulnerability. For this reason I tend to disable it entirely and instead use RDP over a secure VPN/tunnel connection to a secured Windows XP VM from which I can safely run the VIC when working externally or even internally in some cases.

It is something else to consider when dealing with webAccess, is it really necessary or are there other more secure means to access the VMs. If it is use, is it secured enough. I.e. limited to a certain set of hosts.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education. CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354, As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, web access is fine for this particular implementation. However I tried using the Virutal Infrastructure Client and it also would not work. It really would be nice to know what the requirements are to make this work i.e. port numbers, dns entries, etc. I don't recall the exact error message I was getting but it was something like a timeout had occurred.

0 Kudos