VMware Cloud Community
orangepaul
Contributor
Contributor

VMware LUNs on EMC Clariion won't fail back

After some power work which resulted in the rebooted of a service processor on a EMC Clariion CX3-80. After the service processor came back online I was unable fail back our VMware LUNs to their default service processor. I raised a call with EMC who think the problem is VMware preventing the LUNs failing back and enabling and disabling of the enabling and disabling of the failover path needs to be done to allow the LUNs to trespass back.

Can anyone confirm that this solution would work or suggest an alternative solution. We are currently experiencing some performnce problems on VMware because the LUNs aren't load balanced.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums I have moved the post to a more approiate forum to gain a greate audience

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

A couple of questions - what OS are your guest servers? If WIndows, have you done the registry hack and installed PowerPath?

You might also want to see about removing the servers from the LUN and then re-presenting them to the LUN.

In VirtualCenter, you can choose configuration - storage and highlight the LUN - choose the option to manage paths and you can disable the paths that you want on standby - the server should failover to the other HBA/path.

HTH

Mike

0 Kudos
orangepaul
Contributor
Contributor

The problem turned out to be a network problem. We moved the fibre cables on the SAN to a new switch as part of a project we are doing and the problem was resolved. I'm not sure why the problem occurred or how it was fixed.

0 Kudos