VMware Cloud Community
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESX 3 Details,

Hi,

please somebody help me that I want to install the VMware ESX 3 in Redhat Ent.5 with software RAID

How many VMs can I install with this version..

So please tell how i install it....

Regards,

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 3 installs right on the server like another OS. It does not need a host like Linux or VMware. You might want to take a look at VMware Server.

If you do want to install ESX, you should take a look at the supported hardware specs: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_systems_guide.pdf

You can install it on a whitebox, but you'll still have to meet certain hardware specs.

The number of VMs that you can run on ESX really depends on the nature of the VMs and the server specs, but you could easily do 5 - 8 light VMs per processor core (assuming you have sufficient memory and disk resources).

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can't install ESX on top of another OS.

And you can't use software RAID.

Here's some docs regarding systems compatibility and the like http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pubs.html

0 Kudos
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

Thnaks for reply..

I got it yur point now

so now i am try to install the VMware Server EXS 3 in this server

HP Proliant DL145G2 Server with AMD Opteron model 252 2.6GHz - 1MB single-core dual CPU RAM-16GB and Hard disk 250GB *2

Now i have download the ISO of Vmware ESX server 3 from the VMware site and brun the ISO in CD

Then I boot the server from the VMware ESX server 3 cd .

I got the error on Harddisk decetion time

error is

Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installtion type would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk...

SO please help me how i can install it on this server

Regards,

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You won't have any luck with this since the disk controller is not supported.

0 Kudos
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

so i cant install the VMware ESX server 3 on this server and pls tell me which thing i can update in the server so i can install it...

Regards,

0 Kudos
chani13
Contributor
Contributor

You should really check out the ESX Server 3.x Systems Compatibility Guide. I don't think you could do much about it.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You mention that you have 2 * 250 GB drives. Are these IDE or SATA? ESX doesn't support installing directly on either. If you want to use these drives (assuming they are SATA) you would need a RAID controller listed on this page

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=sata_faq

But even then, you're installing ESX on a non-supported system so there are no gaurantees.

0 Kudos
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If there is any option to install the VMware ESX server in this server to use the SATA Harddisk...

Regards,

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

With a supported SATA RAID controller - yes.

Otherwise - no.

0 Kudos
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

Can i install with connect desktop pc and install by NFS through the linux if yes so pls tell me how i can install it..

Regards,

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can use NFS for VMFS datastores but NOT for the ESX install.

With this server you are out of luck.

0 Kudos
shaileshjain_19
Contributor
Contributor

i can install to use NFS for VMFS datastores. So i can use the Guest OS in this option..

Please if you have document related this so pls help me

Regards,

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos