VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Converter as a Business Continuity Solutions

I thought I created a question on this previously but could not locate it. If I have, please excuse this reposting.

I recently setup VMware Converter standalone and VMware Converter Enterprise (on our VirtualCenter Server). As I read the documentation for each of these applications, I saw an interesting section about performing multiple conversions and more interestingly about doing "incremental" backups on the created VMs. As I read this, I wondered if this feature could be used as a "poor-man's business continuity" solution. That is, could I create a VM either from a physical server or another VM and store that VM on a separate host located somewhere other than where my production hosts exists. Then, on that VM create incremental backups (and, of course, limit the number of backups so that I'd only have maybe 2-3 each time to have the oldest removed). Then, should I suffer a loss of the physical server or the production VM, I could activate the VM on the separately located host for business continuity purposes?

Also, when the main production server was repaired or replaced, I could perform a V2V back to , at least, the production VM (could not do anything for the physical server). On the production physical server, I guess the best I could do is backup the business continuity VM and use the backup of the VM data to restore to the production server. In any event, it would be better than what I have now.

Would this be a possibility? Or, am I missing something in the interpretation of what I read?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I wonder about the "incremental" backups you talk about.

Where do you find anything about that ?

I never heard about that feature ...

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

my mistake. I re-read the documentation and it's definitely not there. I believe I mixed up converter documentation with what I was reading in PlateSpin documentation. Regardless, I wonder if the concept could be used in a Business Continuity situation.

0 Kudos