VMware Cloud Community
nos
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion issue with IBM x3650s

ok got an interestign one.

Two identical ESX 3.5 hosts - IBM x3650s 100% hardware alike. Configured in the same clusert HA, DRS VMotion all working 100% for weeks.

Had a PSOD on one of the host one day - VMware said it was hardware, IBM said to update the BOIS and firmware. We did this host seemed fine. BUT now I can not vmotion VM between hosts, getting a hard stop with an imcompatible CPUID error on the 'edx'. I can no longer VMotion between hosts.

Anyone else run into this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mitvix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try update all xSeries servers firmware that you have, or try change the EDX register value for your VM´s that showing this error, for this in configuration of your VM change the CPUID Mask > Advanced > edx flag. You can reset all values or try looking with the vendor of processor the right edx value for your processor type.

The EDX Register is a encoding of the feature flags for processors.

[]´

Alexander Manfrin

Alexander Manfrin VCP - VMware Certified Professional Owner www.vmworld.com.br +55 61 8110 2665 - Brasilia - Brazil
0 Kudos
Gene_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Verify that the BIOS settings for EXECUTE DISABLE BIT and VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY under Advanced Setup, CPU Options are still ENABLED. I had a situation where a BIOS update changed these settings which caused vmotion to fail.

Also make sure that the new BIOS settings on the new server match the settings on the older BIOS servers.

Gene

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

these might help you out.

0 Kudos