VMware Cloud Community
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMotion from 3.0.1 to 3.5 with RDM (physical mode)

Hi all.

I have today 2 box ESX 3.0.1 with 20 virtual machines. All virtual machines use RDM in physical mode.

So, I'm wondering to install another ESX box (3.5) to help to upgrade my 2 box 3.0.1 to version 3.5.

In the end I like to stay with 3 box ESX3.5.

Can I do a VMotion from 3.0.1 to 3.5 without problems?

Cheers,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To use "V-Motion" the Chipset families need to be the same and all ESX hosts need to see the same storage. If you purchased the hardware at different times, take the time to reasearch the hardware. There might be a way to modify the NX bit to overcome small differences, but it is not 100%.

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok.

If I check all pre-reqs about CPU compatibility and storage. VMmotion to a different version, using RDM disks, will work?

PS: The VirtualCenter CPU Compatibility check can be disabled. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Eduardo

0 Kudos
fejf
Expert
Expert

First, you should try to have the same version of ESX Servers (and even same patches on them) if you use a cluster or something similar to minimize possible incompatibilities/problems - but Vmotion from older to newer ESX Versions is support from specific releases to specific releases (normally only used for upgrade purposes). See the Upgrade guide on how to upgrade your ESX Servers: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf or install the same old version on your new PC.

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest and those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I have 3.0.x servers co-existing with 3.5 servers and they VMotion just fine. Just don't update the vmware-tools to the 3.5 version, and you'll be ok.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi KjB.

All right, I also have 3.0.x co-existing with 3.5 and VMotionworks fine. My doubt its about do a VM VMotion using RDM. Its the same thing, will work too?

Cheers,

Eduardo

0 Kudos
DigitalVoodoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From page 57 pf the VMware SAN Design and Deployment Guide (www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_san_design_deploy.pdf😞

VMware VMotion, VMware DRS, and VMware HA are all supported in both RDM physical and virtual compatibility modes.

So, you should be OK to Vmotion your VMs with RDMs, even in physical compatibility mode. Be aware, however, that you can't snapshot RDM disks in that mode (you need to be in virtual compatibility mode to do snapshots).

0 Kudos