VMware Cloud Community
vanshu
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESX 3.0 or 3.5 does not recognize the IDE Harddrive during installation

Hi,

I have two questions and if anybody help me resolve it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1) I have recently purchased this Intel BOXDG33FBC LGA 775 Intel G33 ATX Intel Motherboard with a WD 80 GB IDE Hard Drive to test installation of ESX 3.5. However, after the ESX Boots from CD, it asks for a driver to install and does NOT recognise the IDE Hard Drive.

I've tried using the ESX 3.0 as well and it does not help either.

I'm sure the Hard Drive does NOT have a problem as its running Windows Server 2003 right now without any issues.

2) I have a Rosewill SATA II Card with another SATA Hard Drive. This SATA Card came with a CD having card drivers for Redhat Linux in IMG Format.

Is there a way I can tell ESX 3.0 (or 3.5) to use the SATA Driver (in IMG Format) on CD so that I can use the SATA Hard drive for installation. I know this may not be a supported configuration, however I just wanted to try it as an alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

For your first problem, was is the exact error message that you get? With my Intel DP35DP, I had a drive not found error, but it was related to the fact that ESX couldn't recognize the CD-Rom drive. In my case I did an HTTP install, but this idea from another thread may fix that for you.

-

I happen to be having the same problem. I think the user having the issue may have left out a very critical detail. the error message occurs just after the screen "Installation Method” where you answer the question "what type of media contains the packages to be installed" Options are "Local CD-ROM, Hard Drive, NFS, FTP, HTTP" When you select "Local CD-ROM" it says "No Drivers Found" however if you continue to read it says " Unable to find any devices for this installation type". ive done some research on Linux distros and there’s tons of people having the issue and all seem to b able to resolve it by specifying something like "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf " something or other... it basically makes the installer use a generic IDE mode for the CD-ROM, this only happens when the CD-rom is a "SATA" cd rom... dunno why or how... im going to keep looking till I figure it out.. Or maybe I’ll just do the FTP thing... That’s not a bad idea... just wish I could ensure it actually see's the drives before I go through all that trouble.

-

If that does fix things for you, you'll have 2 additional problems

1) You won't be able to create a VMFS partition on your IDE drive. You'll need attach either a SATA drive (or SCSI via a supported / working controller).

2) ESX will likely be fine to install onto the IDE drive, but you'll likely get a failed to mount root error after you reboot. That's because ESX will not be able to recognize the Intel ICH9DH controller that the system uses. See this like for a potential fix - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/SATA_mounting_root_failed.html - except in your case you'll edit the achi.xml file.

On your second question, ESX does not use native Linux drivers (although some of the drivers it uses are derived from Linux drivers). While the service console for ESX is based on Linux, the vmkernel is not and that is the part that will be loading the storage drivers. Thus you won't be able to add drivers for your Rosewill card. ESX 3.5 supports a limited number of dual connect SAS controllers, but fortunately includes drivers that will support Intel ICH*, nVidia, LSI, Silicon Graphics and a few other brands of SATA controllers. I haven't see the Rosewill card in that list so you'll be out of luck with it.

PS - what I've written just applies to ESX 3.5 (as 3.0 doesn't include SATA support (besides a few SATA controllers that mimic SCSI controllers). You should be able to get this working with the SATA drive connected to the onboard controller.

JBraes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I am correct all Intel P35 mainboards use an additional (MARVELL) chip for the IDE controller as ICH9 no longer supports IDE only SATA

Red Hat drivers will not help you, you need "VMWare-kernel drivers" not Linux.

Get yourself an 975x chipset mainboard. The ICH7 still has ide support and the sata controllers works out of the box.

I hope this helps

0 Kudos
vanshu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, You've guided me to the right direction. Thank you very much.

The culprit is the CD/DVD Drive. Though I bought a IDE DVD Drive just to avoid SATA issues with VMWare (on a cheap white box), apparantely it is inevitable.

I'll try the "linux all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf" thing and post the results.

Thank you once again.

Abhishek

0 Kudos
vanshu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to install ESX by following method:

1. In BIOS, setup the devices as AHCI. (already tried setting them up as IDE both native and legacy mode, btw my CDROM is IDE and NOT SATA)

2. Pop the ESX CD and boot.

3a). On Boot menu: vmlinuz all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf

Kernal Panic. Cannot mount root filesystem

3b) On Boot menu: esx text all-generic-ide irqpoll pci=nommconf

No driver found. Select Driver/Use a Driver Disk/Back

Is there any way I can pass these parameters to ESX at install time ?

Regards

0 Kudos
vanshu
Contributor
Contributor

As an alternative, can I partition my IDE harddrive from Windows and copy the ESX Installation files on one of the partition and use that partition to install after the CDROM Boots and asks for Installation file ? ESX sees my two harddrives as /dev/(SATA) sda1 and /dev/sda2 (IDE)2.

Regards

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

If you have Windows, you can setup a test lab for ESX 3.0.2 with VMware Workstation 6.0 from www.xtravirt.com site. You can just simply download .iso file and mount to the VM and have it installed anytime.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

"The Power of Knowledge"

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
vanshu
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, I've tried many other options but no success!!!

1. Created two partition on IDE Harddrive. 1st left as free space. Second one formatted as EXT2. Copied the ESX3.5 ISO image itself and contents of the ESX 3.5 ISO image onto the root of this second partition. Booted off the ESX 3.5 CD. When it asks where the ESX Images are ? Chose Harddrive, selected the second patition (/dev/hda2 in my case, tried all other partition as well). It throws up saying "The dev/hda2 does not contain RedHat cdrom images."

2. Tried dumping the aforesaid ISO image and its content onto 1 GB USB Drive. Booted off CDROM. Chose harddrive to give images path. Selected /dev/hdb1, the USB Drive containing ISO and its content), again the same error. "...does not contain...."

3. Created a ESX VI3 image that can boot off the USB. Fully functional on my laptop. However, when I plug the same USB and set the Boot device to USB in my other machine in discussion, it does not boot. Gives "Boot Error".

4. Did Google a lot to get the CDROM working with no success. Looks like buying a Intel MoBo with the ICH9 was a big blunder.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Or else if someone can give a specific Intel MoBO which will support Core2 Duo (and Quad for future upgrade), 8 GB Memory and onboard Video which will detect the IDE CDROM and Harddrive to install ESX would be highly appreciated.

PS: Please give the MoBO Model #, not just Chipset. I read a lot on forums that owners of many Intel 975 Chipset MoBo are struglling with their IDE CDROM too. So do not want to take a chance unless someone can confirm they have ESX running of Intel 975 Chipset.

Regards

0 Kudos