VMware Cloud Community
Techinal_Suppor
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE-CMD

Hi, If i am executing any command starting from vmware-cmd through Putty, iam getting the message : VMControl error -11: No such virtual machine, could anyone help me out in this situation..Any help will be appriciable.

regards,

Jitendra

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product are you using, so that we can move this thread to the appropriate forum?

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

I ran into this, not precisely the same error you are seeing but might be useful:

What is the syntax of the command you are trying to issue that failing?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
steppylud
Contributor
Contributor

What vmware-cmd command are you using?

I had this when trying to unregister a VM using "vmware-cmd -s unregister"

It wasn't happy until I used the full name of the datastore rather than the label so instead of using:

vmware -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/NAS_Datastore/vmbox/vmbox.vmx

didn't work but:

vmware -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/rmnkjle0453j4534hj/vmbox/vmbox.vmx

did.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Techinal_Suppor
Contributor
Contributor

After trying this also , i am not able to execute this command...the same eror message is comming..VMControl error -11: No such virtual machine..I am ESX 3.0.1

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to ESX 3.0 forum.

0 Kudos
dtux101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might want to restart mgmt-vmware (hostd) and vmware-vmkauthd and try again. When you do vmware-cmd -> also do tail -f /var/log/vmware/hostd.log

If this happens only with a specific VM, can do try ps -au xwww | grep -i vmname

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Check whether the VM is running in the ESX server you are trying.

Try this,

#vm-support -x

This will display the running VM's world in the particular ESX.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos