VMware Cloud Community
DBofTLP
Contributor
Contributor

VMTools version by build #

I'm trying to find out if the VMTools we're deploying in our environment is the latest build, what version it is and if I need to, where to get the updated/most recent build/version of the VMTools for deployment.

P.S. Thank God the boards are back up (or Communities, w/e)!

Good job guys!!! Love the new look, now to get accustomed to the new features...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

VMtools are included in you ESX and the build is the one that come with you ESX build.

There is not really a place to download new vmtools... you upgrade ESX so you upgrade the tools..

Well.. sometimes there is patch that include newer version of vmware tools...

If you are at the latest patching level... you have the latest tools.

Just make sure you update the vmware tools inside the vm after, if a patch updated your vmtools.

Regards

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

It should be the same as the build number of the VM's host server. You can use the below procedures to check this...

• ESX Server

Login to service console

Type "vmware -v" - ie. "VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 build-32039"

Type "esxupdate -l query" to see what updates are installed.

• Vmware Tools (on a VM)

Right-click on icon inside VM

Click on About tab - ie. "build-32039" this should match your ESX server version

• Vmware Tools (on a ESX Server)

Login to service console

Type "rpm -qa | grep VMware-esx-tools" - ie. "VMware-esx-tools-3.0.1-32039"

0 Kudos
DBofTLP
Contributor
Contributor

#vmware -v

VMware ESX Server 3.0.1 build-39823

#rpm -qa|grep VMware-esx-tools

VMware-esx-tools-3.0.1-41412

(scratches head...) That's quite the discrepancy!? Should I be concerned?

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

my versions are not matching up. i've just applied the november patches to one of my hosts and here is what i get....

vmware -v - 3.0.2-62488

vmtools - build 55869

rpm -qa | grep VMware-esx-tools - VMware-esx-tools-3.0.2-55869

anyone else have this?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

You might check out this kb article...

Tools Status is Reported Incorrectly After Host Upgrade to ESX Server 3.0.2 - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002856

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

thanks, but that kb doesn't tell me how to fix this issue. if i try to upgrade to vmtools i don't get the upgrade prompt. i get the modify/repair/remove prompt.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

• Vmware Tools (on a VM)

Right-click on icon inside VM

Click on About tab - ie. "build-32039" this should match your ESX server version

Eric,

What if your VM has no display... do you know the equivalent for this from a linux console, there's not much to "click" on then.. Smiley Happy

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Just remove and then reinstall... and it will be your update, Sir

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

wila - are you saying you have 3.0.2+novemeber patches and your vmtools build version is the same as the esx host of 3.0.2-62488??

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

wila - see my post above listing the VMTools ISO version. i don't see how uninstalling/reinstalling will resolve this.

man i wish VMware would post some kind of version matrix so we would know if we are up to date.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Good question, I'm really not sure on that one.

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

Maybe you can grep for vmtools within the os or do a query of the rpm package? Just taking a few guesses here, if it is installed, there should be a way to get that info.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

It's not a really big issue for me now. The OS in question was ubuntu, so no .rpm's afaik, but i suppose that there's a .deb somewhere that i can look for.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Erm, i see what you mean. If the host has version X in the setup then your VMs are not likely to get updated to a newer version of the vmware tools just by rerunning the setup in the VM.

As for your question, i'm sorry i'm not completely up to date with my latest patches, so can't tell you my version of the tools, well i can, but it's not helping you.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

I have a case open with vmware support as of yesterday to see what's up. note there were new patches released yesterday that also provide new vmtools.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

I see... looks like i will have to run some updates this week then..

Thanks for the notification.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Try typing 'vmwtool version' and see if that works, haven't tested this...

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Nope, but i did find a "vmware-checkvm" that returns a version, but not quite the version i was hoping for. By default it returns "VMware sofware version 6 (good)". So i tried a few parameters and noticed there is a "-h" parameter, adding that gives:

"VM's hw version is 4"

"VMware sofware version 6 (good)"

0 Kudos