VMware Cloud Community
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMTS Patch Manager End Of Life?

I have not upgraded Virtual Center to V2.5 yet. I'm still testing it in my lab. I have used VMTS Patch Manager for quite some time to install the monthly patches on the hosts in my ESX V3.02 Farm. It looks like the latest ESX V3.02 patches from March 6, 2008 are not available for download from VMTS Patch Manager. Has anyone been able to download the March 6th patches and deploy them via VMTS Patch Manager? I wonder if since Virtual Center V2.5 has built in ESX host patching available if Massimiliano Daneri has stopped updating VMTS Patch manger?

Does anyone have any information about this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

thats right, failing that uninstall vmts patcher and delete the directory, re -install and point it to the updated xml file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I too am waiting, as all customers are not 3.5 yet, I am finding many who are happy with 3.0.2 and want to see 3.5 mature a little more before deploying live.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just use the script Dominic wrote, it's simple and effective!

http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=utilities

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've looked at Dominic's script and it does look like it should work OK. However, VMTS Patch Manager is simpler to use and reports on which patches are or are not installed very easily. I'm really looking to use VMTS Patch Manager if it is still being supported.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have created an update, please find attached - it works fine.

Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded esxupdate.xml and copied it out to C:\Program Files\VMTS.net\VMTS ESX Patch Manager. Then I downloaded the March 6 patches, extracted them to my VMTS Path manager repository. Then I fired up VMTS Patch Manager but it does not appear as if these patches are available for install. What did I miss?

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There are several solutions to patches but I've found the script from Micheal Knight is the best and like you've mentioned Dominic has one, xtravirt, VMTS, Update Manager for ESX 3.5, It depends how you want it but I think you just download all latest patches and upload to /var/updates folder and run the script let it run for 30-45 minutes during coffee break come back reboot and exit your maintenance mode than you're good to go. No mouse click anymore.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to clear the cache I had the same gremlin. I am patching my 20+ hosts now with March patches

0 Kudos
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Zippy you have been extremely helpful! How do you clear the cache? Do you mean the Internet Explorer cache on the PC that is running VMTS Patch Manager? I have tried that with no success.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

thats right, failing that uninstall vmts patcher and delete the directory, re -install and point it to the updated xml file.

0 Kudos
Gerry_Deutsch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK I figured it out. I was not pointing to the local XML file I downloaded. I updated the entry in the REPOSITORY --> LOCAL XML field and all looks good. Thank you very much for the help.

0 Kudos
gmjulian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That xml worked for me also. Thanks! So does anyone know if VMTS patch Manager will be continued to be updated or are we left to our own scripting ability?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm happy to do this if you are as many of my customers will pay for this, as it saves so much man hours which to them is alot of money..

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks for that also - I like the vmts tool too.

0 Kudos
T3Steve
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now that the June 03 2008 patches are out for 3.02, how long will it take for the esxupdate.xml file to be updated?

VCP3|VCP4|VSP|VTSP
0 Kudos