VMware Cloud Community
vmwaredude1
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS on FC or iSCSI device ?

Folks,

I was going through the Install and Configure book. In this book On pg 36 Module 4. It has asked a question asking how can one tell whether a VMFs is on FC device or iSCSI device? They have shown a pic of Storage and details. - This is the pic one can see if they access the configuration --> storage option.

Any ideas, how can one figure it out, without using any command line ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

vmhba(x). The x represents the actual HBA adaptor you are using, so you would have to know which is your internal RAID (typically the first adaptor, so it's 0) then Fibre or iSCSI would be an assigned adaptor. Once you know which adaptor is iSCI/Fibre, you know which vmfs is one that adaptor, by looking at the number immediately following the vmhba(1) or vmhba(2) and so on...

You can see this info in configuration / storage to see your list of assigned VMFS volumes.

vmhba1.2.1.1.

Orange= adaptor number

Green= disk assigned to that adaptor

Purple=it's LUN ID

Blue=the partition.

I think't that's correct...

0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the only way to tell from there is if you are using software ISCSI with vmware. Then I think it gets vmhba40:X:X:X

Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are looking at the storage adapters then

Fiber has a WWPN

ISCSI has a IQN

christianZ
Champion
Champion

For me you can do that only going on "Properties/Manage Paths" - there you can see "San identifier". id that starts with iqn is an iscsi target.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

...but that is another option (Configuration/Storage Adapters);

and if you use iscsi hbas then you don't get vmhba40.

0 Kudos