VMware Cloud Community
ellingtonmd
Contributor
Contributor

VMFS Volume Upgraded From VMFS-2 to VMFS-3 May Display as Read-Only After Upgrading (KB 2197)

Currently running VC 2.0.2 and all host 3.0.2. I had two LUNS that were formatted as native VMFS-3 for a side by side migration in a single SAN fabric with a total six LUNs. I have migrated all VM's off of the old VMFS-2 LUN's and onto my two new VMFS-3 natively formatted LUNs. I placed one of my host in maintenance mode and upgraded one of the old VMFS-2 LUN's to VMFS-3 and I keep waiting for all of my other host to refresh and show the newly formatted LUN as VMFS-3 and not (READ-ONLY). This is not happening. The KB 2197 states this is fixed in 3.0.1. and 2.0.2, but I am not getting the refresh on any of my other host outside of the one tha I initiated the ugrade process.

Any Ideas outside of rebooting my host to get the refreshed state. I am on just waiting patiently prior to proceeding to upgrading additional LUN's

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Abhishek124
Contributor
Contributor

how did you upgraded yur LUN to VMFS2 to vmfs3? Ideally you will have to upgrade to VC.select the LUn and right click and upgrade to vmfs3.depending upon the size of the LUN,It should not take much time. Exit your VC and log back in.....vc refrsh rate is very slow

0 Kudos
ellingtonmd
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded the LUN by clicking on a single host and selecting the LUN a right clicking and choosing "upgrade". The was a 670Gig LUN and returned from the upgrade within three minutes. It's fine from my host that I chose to upgrade. It's just not refreshing on my other host. I have exiting and re-entered VC. No luck there. I have gone to other host and selected the refresh option on the datastore from the resources pane on the summary tab. No luck there either.

Still searching.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Abhishek124
Contributor
Contributor

dont know whats happeing ,,,,but reboot is the only option left

0 Kudos
Abhishek124
Contributor
Contributor

To be able to upgrade the VMFS-2 file system, its file block size

shouldn't exceed 8 MB.

Be sure this VMFS-2 volume is not mounted on any other ESX Server.

0 Kudos