VMware Cloud Community
Kopite2012
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK's on Esx 3

Hi,

We have a new ESX 3 installation.. I know very little about Esx 3 and I am trying to find the location of the VMDK's via the VI Client. This was quite simple in ESX 2.

But seems to either not be present on ESX 3 via the VI Client or is very well hidden.

Just to be clear its the Windows equivalant of the file manager that im looking for, on the VI Client.

Can anyone help ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

open the VI client

in the main screen the datastores are visible, right click them and select "Browse datastore"

alternatively goto the configuration tab, select "Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS) then right click the datastore

0 Kudos
Kopite2012
Contributor
Contributor

Great Thanks, except it does not show all the various partitions that I've created only the folders holding the VMDK's for the VM's. and not the whole folder structure..

For example under /. I've created a folder called Home

but all I see under / is th the following

/.

VM1

VM2.. etc..

but not the other folders (like the home) folder that we created. Is there a way round this? or this is a new feature!

Many thanks once again for your help

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

what user did you use to create the folders ?

what rights do these folders have ?

what user do you use to connect with VI client ?

0 Kudos
Kopite2012
Contributor
Contributor

So far we've only created and used one user root. I think what we've done is created two partitions

Storage1 (for VM's) formated as vmfs

Home formated as ext3

so all we see is storage1

Does this mean that I wont be able to see

/boot

/var/log

/VMimages (formated ext3)

or is there someway to reconfigure or change a setting will allow me to see all these via the GUI rather then having the to see them on the dos console

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

with the Datastore browser you can only[/b] browse VMFS datastores NOT the COS (ext3) partitions

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

i am sorry to say the file manager is not present in VI3, u will have to use the cmd, or if like me u like a gui use winscp (its free)

0 Kudos
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you want so browse the whole ESX server. You can use Fast SCP. This tools can also be used to copy between ESX servers. Here is the link where you can download it: http://www.veeam.com/veeam_fast_scp.asp

Greetz

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos