VMware Cloud Community
ISD622
Contributor
Contributor

VMCenter 2.0.1 to 2.5 that is a VM

I cannot see/find any specific threads that include this senario.

My Virtual Center is a Virtual Machine in my ESX 3.0.1 cluster. Are there any worries or concerns that I should be aware of in the 2.0.1 to 2.5 upgrade?

My VC server is also hosting the SQL 2005 app.

If I'm being too general, let me know what to elaborate on.

Shane

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Make sure to read the release notes and get the latest build from vmware's site. I'm running a similiar setup just on SQL 2000 and I made the mistake using one of the first released builds of VC where you had to set certain permissions on msdb before the upgrade. Otherwise the upgrade went fine. Afterwards I had to set all resources to normal and also re-create a cluster due to other problems with VC 2.5 that others also have experienced (whether it's is a few or many I don't know). There should be a VC 2.5 Update 1 near the end of march (rumour) and if you have a lot of hosts or a lot of vm's I would personally wait for that update to reduce the risk of problems. We are a small shop with 6 hosts and about 90 vm's and it wasn't all that fun doing those workarounds. However some of the problems like the resource thing can be done very quickly for all vm's from the commandline instead of using the gui.

wondab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would definitely clone the VCenter first. A lot of people lost their databases, granted they made the mistake of overwriting it during the upgrade, but just in case...

0 Kudos
ISD622
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting about the release version, what version did you use. As I typed this post I was downloading, so the current version is 2.5.0-64201

We have just started our path of virtualizing so I only have 18 VMs so far in a 3 ESXs. I do also need to check my license, I've heard the move from 3.0.2 to 3.5 people loose VMotion...but that's another thread.

Cloning was already planned, since the option is there, gotta use it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

WIth that version the "problem" with msdb should be solved. I migrated from 3.0.1 to 3.5 with my existing license files (migrated VC first) and I have no problems. Everything on that account worked fine. But since my VC is virtual like yours, I always make a copy of my license files before an upgrade and have a vm on my vmware workstation ready to take the role as a licensing server. This was after I once was unable to start my virtual VC because the host was unable to obtain a license from the powered off vm...

0 Kudos