VMware Cloud Community
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Power State

Hi Guys,

Virtual Center is reporting one of my Virtual Machines as being powered off, however this particular server is pingable and serving data.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me please?

Cheers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Have you try restart vcenter services to see if it clears all out, sometimes vcenter does crazy things.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

I did restart the Virtual Center server but this has not resolved the problem

Any further ideas?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

log directly into the ESX Host and verify the state of the VM is in fact on. If so, try to restart the vpx agent on that host.

From the service console type:

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Troy

By running vmware-vpxa resart will this cause any issues with the rest of the virtual machines? I only ask as this is a production environment.

Regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the command restarts the vCenter Management agent on the ESX Host. You may see your Host and VM's go into disconnect status briefly, but they will not lose network connectivity.

just take note of this KB

0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Troy,

I have issued the service vmware-vpxa restart command on each of the 4 ESX server in my HA enviroment but the problem is still not resolved?

Any other ideas? thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

and you have confirmed this VM in question is not partially registered on more than one host? Log into each host, and look for any duplicate VM's. Also, if you can, you may try to power off the VM by logging into the hosts where it's registered, then go back to your vCenter server, take a note of the datastore it resides on, right click on the VM and remove it from inventory. Then browse the datastore, find the vm's folder and right click on the .vmx file and add to inventory and follow the prompts, then try to power it back on.

0 Kudos