VMware Cloud Community
tbong
Contributor
Contributor

VM Network & Service Console share the same NIC & Virtual Switch

Hi,

When I configured the ESX Server, I configured the VM Network and the Service Console to use the same Virtual Switch and NIC card.

Last week, we rebooted the network switch and lost the VLAN that the Service Console & VM Network is on.

This resulted in all of the vmguests powering down.

My question is :-

Did the loss of the network for the Service Console cause the vmguests to shutdown ? Or was it the loss of the VM Network that caused it to shutdown?

What is the purpose of the VM Network ? Is this the link for the heartbeat of the vmguests ? (We currently have HA & DRS configured)

Is it recommended to have the Service console sharing the NIC/ VSwitch with the guests' VLANs ?

Thank you for any suggestions or help

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

*Did the loss of the network for the Service Console cause the vmguests

to shutdown ? Or was it the loss of the VM Network that caused it to

shutdown*

Yes - this is the default isolation response for HA - it powers off guests on that isolated host to prevent 2 copies of the same guest from running.

*What is the purpose of the VM Network ? Is this the link for the

heartbeat of the vmguests ? (We currently have HA & DRS configured)*

No - the guest heartbeats do not go through the network. The VM Network is the virtual network through which your VMs shoudl access your network.

Is it recommended to have the Service console sharing the NIC/ VSwitch with the guests' VLANs ?

Absolutely not - in fact, its recommended against. You should have separate networks and NICs for your VM's and your Service console.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
tbong
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Could I clarify please -- please could you have a look at the bitmap that is attached.

I have one "VM Network" that is sharing with the Service Console. Pardon my ignorance but is this the "VM Network" that you are referring to ?

I could not remember whether this "VM Network" was set up by me initially or it was a "default" one.

If that's the case, I should be able to remove this "VM Network".

The "VM Network" that you are referring to is a generic term referring to all the other VLANs that I already have in the bitmap atatched.

Is this correct ?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The "VM Network" portgroup is usually autocreated on install - at least on this server you aren't using (as there are no VM's running in it). its probably safe to delete.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
tbong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Boon:)

0 Kudos
ronlau
Contributor
Contributor

"*Did the loss of the network for the Service Console cause the vmguests

to shutdown ? Or was it the loss of the VM Network that caused it to

shutdown*

Yes - this is the default isolation response for HA - it powers off guests on that isolated host to prevent 2 copies of the same guest from running.

"

So, is there a way to disable this? I just went through this two hours ago.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

HA utilize Service Console port and senses 15 seconds heartbeat if it failed to communicate in 15 seconds than it will shutdown and restart the guests to other available ESX hosts. You can set the VM settings behavior how it restart, shutdown etc..in more details. If the physical NIC failed on VM Network than any guests mapped to that physical NIC connection will not be able to communicate externally via that port but internally inside vSwitch and vNIC the guests themselves can still communicate unless it has seperated by VLAN and other firewall rules to prevent them from communication.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
ronlau
Contributor
Contributor

Stefan,

Thanks, I think the easiest way to handle this is to disable HA during the Cisco devices upgrade.

Thank you.

Ron

0 Kudos