VMware Cloud Community
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VIC 2.5 Console Error w/ Vista

I am unable to connect to any of the consoles on VIC 2.5 after the upgrade. 2.0 still continues to work fine but I receive this error when i click the console tab: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Not sure where to start but i searched and didnt see anything.

Thanks

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_Vitale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try this

copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5 to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can start with Vista is not supported, and that's about as far as you will get. I had to discontinue Vista for many reasons, but the VIC 2.5 client was the last straw... There are numerous problems, but even if you manage to get it to work, if you have problems, it's because Vista is not a supported platform

zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input, points sent your way. I find this to be a terrible business practice....the product is already Service Pack 1. If thats the final answer i'll just accept it.

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have Windows XP and I get the same error.

I click on Console and then a error box appears

"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I just upgraded to VC 2.5

0 Kudos
Toonix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I worked with VI Client 2.0 on my Vista64 fine till the upgrade 😞 Now I get the message this platform is not supported and I can't install the client.
Sorry, thats pretty lame. Client 2.0 worked just fine even on 64'bit....
0 Kudos
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

With XP there is a thread that shows how to fix this... Something like run %temp%

then run the install

then go to the directory that gets created in temp and run the msi

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

any idea where that thread is? Or if you can provide a link.. Thanks

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried the %tmp% trick but it's still doesnt work.

Just to be clear..

It installs fine I can get into the client It's just crashes when I click on the console tab.

0 Kudos
khill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here.

I saw the same issue with the Beta, but figured that was because it was beta. When I try to edit the settings of a VM, I get an error "Attempted to access protected memory". I'm running WindowsXP SP2.

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to add I just discovered that if I just leave the client open for like 5 minutes and click on any host it VIC 2.5 just disappears without any error.

0 Kudos
zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is also what happens on Vista....i know its not supported but i just wanted to add this to the list of issues.

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured it out on the XP side.. Give it a try on Vista...

1. Start

2. Run

3. Regedit

4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER

5. Software

6. VMware

7. Delete both enteries

*Virtual Infrastructure Client

*VMware Infrastructure Client

8. File

9. Exit

*VISTA*

In Vista also right click on the exe and make sure the compatible setting is set to Windows XP. This should help you out too... ..

Then start VMware Infrastructure Client

I can now click on the console and it doesn't kick me out anymore and everything works..Good luck.

The way I found the fix is I loged in with the local admin account not my usual network account and noticed it works without any problems. Then I copied all my files off the network account and logged in... It didn't work... So it then hit me it's my accounts network user registry problem...

zmclean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all your help but its still not working. I had a good feeling about this one :smileyblush:

Z-Bone
0 Kudos
khill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried it here with no better luck either. Bummer.

I wish I could determine what is causing this. It works ok on a clean build, but not my well-worn in workstation. Strange. For now, I'm doing it from a vm workstation.

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmmm..

Both of you log in with another user account and let me know what your results are.

-Rene

0 Kudos
renehasp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I forgot one step.

***Uninstall any .NET framework except for 2.0

then

1. Start

2. Run

3. Regedit

4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER

5. Software

6. VMware

7. Delete both enteries

*Virtual Infrastructure Client

*VMware Infrastructure Client

8. File

9. Exit

*VISTA*

In Vista also right click on the exe and make sure the compatible setting is set to Windows XP. This should help you out too... ..

0 Kudos
khill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, still crashes for me. Smiley Sad

I uninstalled all .NET except for 2.0, then uninstalled and reinstalled the 2.5 client. Still crashes. At this point, I've created a VM on my VMWare workstation to just run the client. It works, but it seems like a bit of a hack. Man, I'd really love to know what's causing this.

Edit:: Ummm, OK. Now it's working. After trying it for the first time, it crashed when clicking the "Console" tab. I opened it again, and since parts of it worked OK, I wanted to see if I could upload ISO's to the datastore. That worked, so I assumed it was just partially working. Then out of reflex, I clicked the console tab again, and it came up, no errors. I'm able to edit the settings of a VM as well.

Strange. Working, ( Smiley Happy ), but strange.

0 Kudos
wildblue
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem on XP. It used to work (2.5 client) but I can't figure out what's changed. No hardware/software has been added that I know of (except windows updates)

When starting console I get

" exception has been thrown by target of an invocation "

Web access console works in Firefox, but not IE7

Have uninstalled/reinstalled client. Uninstalled all .net framework (except for 2.0) and have tried deleting registry keys noted above. Nothing seems to work. Working around it right now by using firefox or the VIC on a different machine, but it sure would be nice to get it working on this one. Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
John_Vitale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try this

copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5 to C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher.

0 Kudos