VMware Cloud Community
jprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VI Client 2.5 only supports 32bit OS?

Working through my ESX 3.5 / VC 2.5 upgrade, I download the new VI client onto my workstation (Vista x64 Enterprise) and receive a lovely error message that "This product be installed only on 32-bit operating systems."

Why was that broken? VI client previously worked fine on x64, now it doesn't? Anyone have any workarounds to get it to run on x64 yet?

0 Kudos
120 Replies
Phudodragon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You could always create another Citrix server that's not 64 Bit. That's

what I did.

There's always a workaround. Its just how much of a level of effort is one

willing to put into a workaround that is the issue!

On Jan 3, 2008 11:33 AM, TheRealJason <communities-emailer@vmware.com

Phudodragon http://vmwareworld.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Jammrock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which isn't a big deal if you have a VLK and spare OS licenses hanging around.

Fortunately I have access to Visual Studio so I was able to get the hacked installer and executable working. Though it never should have come to that in the first place...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jprior,

Sorry about the delay - I was waiting for answers and yes a .net compiled 64-bit client. BTW I'm on holiday for the next 3 weeks so won't be watching this forum for awhile.

Cheers,

Andre Kemp

Sr. Product Marketing Manager - APAC

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

While the cat is away, the mice will play... Wait, scratch that... ESX OS does not have any real need for mice... so.

0 Kudos
Thierry_Frache
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A solution has been found here :

I tested it on Vista x64 successfully.

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

erk - stack overflow Smiley Happy

Thierry,

I don't know if you noticed, but the solution referenced in the article you posted came from this very thread.

Regards,

Iain

0 Kudos
Thierry_Frache
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OOps. I don't know why everybody is waiting here!

Ping timeout.

0 Kudos
mcraft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is, quite frankly, inexcusable

We need an official client update or official workaround that doesn't require me to install visual studio. You'd think after spending millions of dollars on your product you would at least ask what we need going forward and not tell us what you think we need.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please calm down mcraft,

If you're gonna shell out a certain amount of money it would probably be wise to check these things first. Repackaging the install file is a hack, and not something they would force you to do.

Now we know that the 64 bit windows client is on it's way. And I would guess it'll be at least a month before we can download it, so we just need to use some patience.

I believe the number of people that would like to see a linux client is currently much higher, than the people requesting a 64 bit windows client. Still, that demand isn't high enough (obviously).

Lars

0 Kudos
lightxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

quite frankly and honestly and humbly, there's no reason to calm down.

even with a medium sized VMware data center people pay tens of thousands of $$$ for support / year, and yet we have to mess around and hack msi files to get VIC to run on a 64bit platform.

this is 2008, is not like 64 bit OSes are all new and appeared just yesterday and cought VMware by surprise.

the entire situation, friendly worded, just plain sucks.

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

At the risk of being labelled anti-VMware (again, LOL, just kidding)... yes, in a word... "Sucks" Like a Hoover!

0 Kudos
robert_eckdale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Add me to the list as well. 3 Enterprise admins and a handfull of operators are now out of luck.

0 Kudos
Thierry_Frache
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please! Stop crying! You need a solution not an excuse! I used corflags and the tool is working fine on my vista 64. I understand it's easier to ask here everyday. The update will be available soon. That's all.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I work for a fortune 500 company and we have a lot of 64-bit desktops. Most of our high-end graphics worksations are 64-bit. We've been using a lot of 64-bit servers for several years now. Starting this year, it's one of the first questions we ask when a new application comes on line. It just makes financial sense. To get more than 4 GB out of a 32-bit Windows server, you have to buy Enterprise Edition. Roughly 4 times as much. With 64-bit, you can still use standard.

I was disappointed that we couldn't install our Virtual Center server on 64-bit.

0 Kudos
lightxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if you where to pay 100k$ / year to have your car running, would you still try to jimmy something up in your backyard if it's broken?

its the same with VMWare. sure, with some ugly hacks you somehow could get VIC up and running, but that's just not the point.

0 Kudos
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if you where to pay 100k$ / year to have your car running, would you still try to jimmy something up in your backyard if it's broken?

its the same with VMWare. sure, with some ugly hacks you somehow could get VIC up and running, but that's just not the point.

You've obviously been in my backyard. Smiley Happy I've got several cars back there.

0 Kudos
TheRealJason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand the desire for a linux client may be higher at the moment than the 64-bit windows version, but the difference is that we USED to be able to run it on 64-bit windows. So rather than wanting something that never existed, we had it and it was taken away.

0 Kudos
Jammrock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here, here.

0 Kudos
elcapitankyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked perfectly the first time. Thanks for posting this! Here are some hints for others that may need some help finding their way around these instructions:

• On Vista 64 try looking for the .msi file in c:\users\&lt;username&gt;\AppData\Local

• If you use the Visual Studio command prompt it makes things easier for step 4.

0 Kudos
chansen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does VMware plan to release a fix for this ANYTIME soon?

0 Kudos