VMware Cloud Community
willvanh
Contributor
Contributor

VI Client 2.0.1 fails to connect to ESX Server 3.0.1

Ok, I feel like a moron here. I have a fresh install of VI3.0.1. I cannot connect via VI Client from workstation or VIA VirtualCenter 2.0.1. Host will not inventory. Known ports are open in the firewall. I can ping by IP and hostname. I can connect to the server via browser.

Error: unable to accesss the specified host. blah blah blah... Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You might try running these commands at console to see if the services are running.

service vmware-vpxa status

service mgmt-vmware status

You can then run the below to start or restart the services and then try connecting again.

service vmware-vpxa restart

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

To make sure I understand you, you're saying that with the Virtual Infrastructure Client, you cannot establish a connection to either your VirtualCenter 2.x server, or your ESX 3.x server?

On the VirtualCenter side, ensure the VirtualCenter Management Server service is started. That puppy has a tendancy to crash when it loses connectivity to its database. If it is stopped, you'll need to start it back up.

Also, don't cut the actual error message short with blah blah blah. That last part may be helpful. What's the complete error message?

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos