VMware Cloud Community
gyee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VI 2.01 -> VI 2.5 Database Upgrade Permissions

I am trying to upgrade our VI 2.01 server to VI 2.5 but it is failing in the very beginning on the database upgrade; the database is SQL Server 2000. When the setup begins the upgrade I am get:

The DSN points to an older version of database repository which requires upgrading. The upgrade is required and it will make the repository incompatible with older versions.

After I click OK I get:

The DB user entered does not have the required permissions needed to install and configure VMware VirtualCenter Server with the selected DB. Please see the installation documentaion for detailed DB permission requirements.

The only thing mentioned in the upgrade document is to set the Recovery Mode to Bulk-logged; I have configured this and it made no difference.

The only thing that appeared relevant in the installation manual is the user must be granted the DBO role; this has been configured since the initial installation.

I am not a DBA so at this point I am stuck and really don't know what else to look for.

Thanks.

-Gene

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Per the 2.5 installation docs, your DSN user needs SQL Server sysadmin permissions.

In SQL Enterprise Manager, drill down through Security, Logins, and properties on your database user account, then Server Roles tab. Check the box "System Administrators".

After the upgrade is complete, I'd remove the sysadmin role from your VirtualCenter DSN database user.

Jason Boche

VMware Communities User Moderator

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are a couple suggestions in this thread---> http://communities.vmware.com/message/816839

Eric Siebert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
gyee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just read through the thread, didn't seem to be anything relevant. I'll read it again, but I am not having connection issues like some of the posters were having...

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Per the 2.5 installation docs, your DSN user needs SQL Server sysadmin permissions.

In SQL Enterprise Manager, drill down through Security, Logins, and properties on your database user account, then Server Roles tab. Check the box "System Administrators".

After the upgrade is complete, I'd remove the sysadmin role from your VirtualCenter DSN database user.

Jason Boche

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
djdeceit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Bloke,

Did you grant the database user you used with the VirtualCenter Database db_owner permissions to the msdb database as well? This is needed during installation and upgrade. You can remove this after a successful deployment.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't forget that you also need to change your database Recovery Model from Full to Bulk-Logged during the SQL database upgrade process.

Jason Boche

0 Kudos
steve_bourque
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there an upgrade document with information like this included? Thanks.

-Steve

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd read through these before upgrading....

ESX Server 3.5 and VirtualCenter 2.5 Release Notes - http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx35_vc25_rel_notes.html

ESX Server 3 Installation Guide - http://vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_installation_guide.pdf

Upgrade Guide - http://vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf

Also...

Administrative Credentials are Required for Oracle and SQL Database when Installing or Upgrading VirtualCenter - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003052

Eric Siebert

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
gyee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That resolved my issues!! However, per the documentation on page 68, it says it requires EITHER sysadmin server role or DBO fixed database role.

Thanks.

-Gene

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good to hear Gene! I personally found that DBO on the DSN account wasn't enough and had to temporarily assign sysadmin to the DSN account.

Don't forget to assign points for correct and/or helpful answers on the forums.

Jas

Jason Boche

0 Kudos
spacejay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all,

I got the same problem. After I had added the sysadmin role to my db user (vcdb_admin) the error has been disappeared, but now the installer doesn't ask me to upgrade the database. He has simply installed new tables with owner dbo. But the owner of the old tables is "vcdb_admin".

I have reinstalled the old version (VC 2.0.2) using a backup of the database. Also in this case, when the vcdb_admin user has sysadmin privileges the installation doesn't ask me to use the existing data. When I remove the sysadmin role from vcdb_admin everything works fine and the installer uses the existing data.

So the my problem is, with sysadmin privileges the installer doesn't use my old data and without sysadmin privileges the upgrade won't work as discussed here.

Does anyone know, how can I solve that.

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos
steven_catania
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having the same issues with permissions. With elevated permissions on the SQL Database to sysadmin with DBO we are able to install/ugrade. At least progress through the options. Access is granted to the MSDB. After the "upgrade" we still loose all the existing data in VC. Also once the permissions are moved back to just DBO we cant start the VC service unless we put sysadmin back on the db.

Steve

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello all,

I got the same problem. After I had added the sysadmin role to my db user (vcdb_admin) the error has been disappeared, but now the installer doesn't ask me to upgrade the database. He has simply installed new tables with owner dbo. But the owner of the old tables is "vcdb_admin".

I have reinstalled the old version (VC 2.0.2) using a backup of the database. Also in this case, when the vcdb_admin user has sysadmin privileges the installation doesn't ask me to use the existing data. When I remove the sysadmin role from vcdb_admin everything works fine and the installer uses the existing data.

So the my problem is, with sysadmin privileges the installer doesn't use my old data and without sysadmin privileges the upgrade won't work as discussed here.

Does anyone know, how can I solve that.

Thanks,

Christian

Answer is here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/820174

Jason Boche

0 Kudos
JonT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok so I am having this same issue with SQL 2005 as my back-end DB server. My current setup is VC2.02 and currently am using an NT Domain Service account. My system DSN points to the DB server and uses NT authentication to connect. I have read just about every document I can find several times and understand that my current configuration is not exactly supported, but is my desired configuration. My DBA team frowns on using SQL Authentication if possible, and also I am not going through the hassle of changing my VC service account to anything else. With that said here is where I am:

I have added my VC Service Account as "db_owner" to the MSDB database.

I currently have this service account as the actual owner of the VC Database (not just db_owner rights), as this was the only way to make the account work per KB 6565318:

"http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=6565318"

I have also tried to add a local login (sql account) and setup my DSN to match that but the upgrade wizard still states that my user does not have the required permissions. I even tried to create a brand new database with no data in it, and set the permissions on it for my service account or for the local sql account. None of what I setup seems to have enough permissions for the wizard. Is it just me or did the logic for the installer get worse? I have seen numerous threads in the communities about various issues with permissions for not only upgrades but new setups as well. Also I have not set the permissions to my account as "sysadmin" so I have not accidentally wiped my database thankfully.

Any ideas anyone??? I am ready to call support but figured I would toss it up as a last ditch to the community before crying to VMWare.

0 Kudos
Mark_P_Werner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I am not upgrading from anything. I am trying to perform a brand new, fresh install.

Trying to get VC 2.5 to install.

VC database SQL login user has db_owners rights to VC DB and MSDB DB (and no other permissions or rights).

.NET Framwork on system installing VC is 2.0.

MDAC on system installing VC is 2.8 SP1.

When testing System DSN DB connection on system installing VC it tests successfully.

System installing VC on is XP (tried more than one machine).

SQL Server is 2000 SP4

Database Recovery Model changed from Full to Bulk-Logged.

When trying to install VC the following error message appears.

"The DB user entered does not have the required permissions needed to install and configure VMware VirtualCenter Server with the selected DB. Please see the installation documentation for detailed DB permission requirements."

This is not an upgrade and I receive the error. This is a brand new, fresh install, that has been attempted on several machines now. That said, the information in the Release Notes and Known Issues is not the problem or the resolution. The information in the KB articles is not the solution as it is not applicable, and everything is configured just as it should be according to VMware.

Have also tried giving the DB user the server role, system administrator, as someone suggested. That didn't do anyhing either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mark_P_Werner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

KB 1003346 and/or KB 1003052 are not the answer or solution for my recent post.

0 Kudos
JonT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The error you are getting sounds more like an issue with the service account's permissions on the machine that you are installing the VC on. Have you made sure that the account is either a "local admin" on the box or have the rights to "log on as a service"? From what you have stated your DB permissions should be correct so check the logs for anything that points to your XP machine. Also you might consider just deploying VC to a guest VM to save yourself the trouble of the extra XP machine.....

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I had a DBA trace this out and all you need is DBO to the virtual center DB and DBO to the msdb database and install should work fine.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
drfitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know if anyone has resolved this yet.

I'm having the same issue when trying to upgrade from VC v2.0.2 to v2.5. The message is "The DB user entered does not have the required permissions needed to install and configure VMware VirtualCenter server with the selected SB. Please see the installation documentation for detailed DB permission requirements"

My account worked fine to install v2.x with DBO permissions. When I try to use sysadmin role I get the following message: "Do not change the System Administrator Server role (sysadmin) for the VirtualCenter database login account when upgrading from a previous release of VirtualCenter. Changing the sysadmin role on your VirtualCenter database login to meet permissions requirements can cause the upgrade to fail and install a new set of tables."

I can connect to the SQL2000 DB for VC using my ODBC driver

I'm stumped. I have a call into Tech support but there extremely back logged. So if someone has solved this issue I would appreciate any suggestions.

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if anyone has resolved this yet.

I'm having the same issue when trying to upgrade from VC v2.0.2 to v2.5. The message is "The DB user entered does not have the required permissions needed to install and configure VMware VirtualCenter server with the selected SB. Please see the installation documentation for detailed DB permission requirements"

My account worked fine to install v2.x with DBO permissions. When I try to use sysadmin role I get the following message: "Do not change the System Administrator Server role (sysadmin) for the VirtualCenter database login account when upgrading from a previous release of VirtualCenter. Changing the sysadmin role on your VirtualCenter database login to meet permissions requirements can cause the upgrade to fail and install a new set of tables."

I can connect to the SQL2000 DB for VC using my ODBC driver

I'm stumped. I have a call into Tech support but there extremely back logged. So if someone has solved this issue I would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's the deal:

1) Your SQL account for the virtualcenter database needs DBO to the virtualcenter database

2) Your SQL account for the virtualcenter database needs DBO to the MSDB system database for SQL during the upgrade only. Once the upgrade is finished, remove the SQL account from the DBO role on the MSDB database.

3) DO NOT assign your SQL account for the virtualcenter database to the sysadmin role! This will create a new set of tables in your virtualcenter database!

[i]Jason Boche[/i]

[VMware Communities User Moderator|http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2444][/i]

0 Kudos