VMware Cloud Community
atul7696
Contributor
Contributor

VI 2.0.1 CPU usage high on the VC server

I have a VC server 2.0.1 and the CPU usage is 100 % (process vpxd.exe takes 100 % cpu which is a VC service)

Any fix available (apart from upgrading to vc 2.5 or starting and restarting the virtual center service.)

If we install patch 2 , will it fix the issue

VC is a VM on the ESX host

VC has 1 GB RAM and MSDE database.

ESX servers are 3.0.1

There are 6 ESX hosts, no clusters, no resource pools

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check your vc logs to see if there is anything out of the ordinary going on (c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\vmware virtual center\vpxd.log) If not, it could be a windows process issue which you require a service restart at least. This should be a quick check. I don't remember having this issue on 2.0.1, but there have been a LOT of fixes since then. If not to 2.5, then I would suggest at least to 2.0.2U5?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
atul7696
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response

Restarting the service was a temporary fix which i did yesterday..the machine is under monitor. lets see how it behaves

Under latest vpxd.log nothing much was present.

Nothing that was showing as abnormal /error or something else that give some clue what is causing the trouble

Have also used process explorer to see if some hidden process is causing the issue which was also not the case

There were no errors related to sql/vi client in VC server event logs.

Upgrading the VC server had to be delayed but that could be a permanent fix

I have also checked many blogs they say that SQL can also be the culprit.Somebody also recommended to check the statistics in the VI client

Can u let me know where to find the transaction logs for the MSDE database and if its size is larger.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

1 GB of RAM is pretty less....1 GB is minimum RAM and 2 GB is the recommended one. Try to increase the RAM . Also disbale any unwanted service on the server.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Under the sql install location, there should be a data folder, that data folder will have an dbName.mdf and dbName.ldf file. mdf is the database, ldf is the transaction log. Also, with vc 2.0, you are probably using MSDE/SQL Express 2000, which actually has a 2 GB filesize limit. SQL express 2005 has a 4 GB filesize limit.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos