VMware Cloud Community
VMNG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB backup problem, anyone can help?

I have enough storeage space for backup file. The virtual centere version is 2.0.2 , Host version 3.0.2, VCB version ???(download yesterday)

I can use command vcbvmname –h server.com –u xxxxxxx -p xxxxx -s any: to see all vm under this host

however, when i try to mount the vm

Vcbmouter –h server.com –u xxxxxxx -p xxxxxx -a name:mai1aa-r d:\mnt\mail1aa –t file –m san

it gives me error message shows below.

vcbMounter' 800 error] Error:

Error while opening disk blklst:///vmfs/volumes/47ebfd1c-e82667ae-7413-001b789d0390/mail1aa_2/mail1aa.vm

x-snapshot-13[VM-Storage3] mailto:mail1aa_2/mail1aa.vmdk@server.com?xxxx/xxxx: A virtual disk could not be opened.

Cannot open disk file: Error : Disk library failed (Cannot access a SAN/iSCSI LUN backing this virtual disk. (Hint: Option "-m ndb" swtiches vcbMounter to network base disk access if this is what you want.) ).

Unable to open 'blklst:///vmfs/volumes/47ebfd1c-e82667ae-7413-001b789d0390/mail1aa_2/mail1aa.vmx-snapshot-13[VM-Storage3] .

Failed to configure disk scsi0:0.

vcbMounter' 800 error] An error occurred, cleaning up.

Deleted directory d:\mnt\mail1aa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That depends basicly on which backup software you prefer and how you want to backup. Since the VM HDs geht mounted to the backup proxy, you can access them like a normal (read-only) filesystem. I reckon that most Backup Solutions support VCB, or at least running pre- and post-job-scripts, which should be enough to mount the disks and then backup them like normal local files. A simple script for a backup-to-disk is possible, too. I used it with ArcServe and also with self-made script so far, both worked pretty well.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Since you are trying to mount a SAN LUN, you have to make sure, that the Backup Proxy can see the SAN LUN aswell. This means, the Server must be connected to the same Fabric, a matching zone must be present and the LUN masking must be configured correctly. Mounting the LUN does not involve the ESX, it is a direct connection between the storage system and the backup proxy.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
VMNG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No luck, I checked again. The server connected to the same Fabris switch, same zone(i am not 2 sure) LUN1(V-storage1) LUN2 (V-storage3).

My VCB server use qlogic fabric card, i can see two disks under target persistent binding and link status tab.

Still the same problem. Any other idea?

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Eventually this Thread get you any further:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/614346

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

VMNG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Sinac

The problem is my fibre channel card even it is brand new one. I changed my fibre channel card form Qlogic to Emulex and install the driver, everything is running perferct right now. So, what is the nexp step? Which backup software do you use for backup the VM files?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That depends basicly on which backup software you prefer and how you want to backup. Since the VM HDs geht mounted to the backup proxy, you can access them like a normal (read-only) filesystem. I reckon that most Backup Solutions support VCB, or at least running pre- and post-job-scripts, which should be enough to mount the disks and then backup them like normal local files. A simple script for a backup-to-disk is possible, too. I used it with ArcServe and also with self-made script so far, both worked pretty well.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

0 Kudos
VMNG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Sinac

Can you provide some script example. such as mounter and dismount, I just figure out the backup software (Veritas Backup EXEC version12) with HP storageworks ML2024.

I use c:\program files\vmware\vmware c*\vbmounter –h hostname –u administrator –p password -a name:servername -r d:\mnt\servername -t file to mount VM

c:\program files\vmware\vmware c*\vcbmounter –h hostname –u administrator –p password -U c:\mnt\servername to dismount the VM

So can you help me, please give me some idea or script for that. Because I really don't know how to do that.

Thank you very much.

Alex

0 Kudos
VMNG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One more question, did anyone know how to backup mount linux files system to NTFS via the VCB?

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You simply have to get this commands to be executed before and after the backup, unfortunatly I dont know where this is configures in Veritas. Eventually this document will help you:

http://www.carahsoft.com/resources/VMware/BE11dandVMWare.pdf

You can only backup Windows VMs on File Level, for all other OS only Fullbackup is supported aith VCB.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

0 Kudos