VMware Cloud Community
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VCB and TSM intergration

Trying to intergrate VCB with TSM and I've run into an issue which I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.

Let me start off by saying that I am very confident that VCB is functioning correctly because the vcbMounter -h {virtual center} -u -p -a ipaddr: -r -t file command does exactly what it is supposed to. I'm also very confident that TSM is functioning correctly because I cam able to backup and restore the VCB Proxy server. The problem is that I cannot get TSM to invoke VCB automatically at the start of a scheduled backup.

I am currently using the "IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Version 5.4 & 5.5 Technical Guide" as my reference point and I have followed the steps up to page 337. On page 338 it reads in step 1 "We run the dsmc backup vm command from the VCB proxy." However, this is where my problem starts.

The exact error message is "Executing Operating System command or script: vcbMounter -h 10.50.201.51 -u vRanger -p **** -a ipaddr:stjh0331 -r C:\mnt\tsmvmbackup\filelevel\stjh0331 -t file 'vcbMounter' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Finished command. Return code is: 1 ANS9265E Failure mounting Virtual Machine 'stjh0331' with vcbMounter command. RC=1 ANS9264E Incremental backup of Virtual Machine 'stjh0331' failed with RC 1"

I think the problem is related to the -a ipaddr: section because if I manually type the command using the actual IP address it will work. However, I do not know where or which file needs to be edited to make this change from within TSM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry, I meant the path of the profile in which the script executes. From your error, the command was not found. In your script, run the command using the full path to the mount command.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I actually approached this a different way. What I did was wrote and application that will read an ini file for a list of servers and then the application will create the script for vcb and pushing to TSM. I set this up as a scheduled task on the VCB server itself. I was also able to spawn into multiple sessions at once.

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is your path. The script can not find the vcbmounter command. Either run the command using the full path, or edit the path settings in your script before you run the mount.

-KjB

JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The path statement for the OS includes both the path to the VCB mounter and the path to the TSM client.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry, I meant the path of the profile in which the script executes. From your error, the command was not found. In your script, run the command using the full path to the mount command.

-KjB

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's the problem. I can't find where the script is running from.

0 Kudos
marnikske
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you been able to resolve this problem.

We have the exact same issues......

Marnix

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My issue was resolved by Suki Singh from IBM.

It seems like the TSM client is unable to find the path to the vcmounter from the registry:

To fix the problem open up 'regedit' and get to the following path:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{EE247ED5-FD9F-432C-BEBA-458BBAA8766C}

In this path, on the right hand side, will be a key called 'InstallLocation'. I would bet this is blank and shows something like:

"InstallLocation"=""

Update this key with the correct location to the vcbmounter.exe files.

This is typically C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\

but could be different.

Please let me know if you have any questions and if this resolves the problem.

Hope this helps,

Jason

0 Kudos
marnikske
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the input Jason.

We're testing it as we speak!

One strange thing however (nothing to do with this problem), is that in the automated e-mail I got from the Communities web, the last part of the regkey is not mentioned.

Marnix

0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I'm having a similar problem trying to integrate VCB and TSM 5.5

First of all I checked the Registry for the installlocation and is ok.

My problem is that I should have set up all correctly but the backup don't even start .

Here the steps I've followed , taken from the integration guide from IBM.

Installed TSM On the VCBProxy server ( which is also the TSM Server ) .

Installed the VCB integration.

created an opt file and a service for the backup

created a node on the tsm server

tested the vcbmount itself and it works

Tested the following command

:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc backup serverced3_vm -optfile=dsm_servercd3vm.opt

BM Tivoli Storage Manager

ommand Line Backup/Archive Client Interface

Client Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.1

Client date/time: 03/09/2009 12:04:53

c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights Reserved.

ode Name: SERVERCED3_VM

ession established with server SERVERTSM: Windows

Server Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.1

Server date/time: 03/09/2009 12:04:53 Last access: 03/09/2009 11:28:06

elective Backup function invoked.

NS1076E The specified directory path could not be found.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Make sure you set up the config.js file properly. Also, take a look at this doc regarding setting up TSM ->http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1124

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I found that the command I used to check the installation was incorrect

I used

dsmc backup name_of_the_vm -optfile=...\file.opt

instead of

dsmc backup vm -optfile=...\file.opt

but now I have a different problem

Looking at the output below I see that the integration uses the "-ipaddr" option which fail because in the opt we pass the name of the vm .

I tried to set the optin inn the config.js ( VCB ) but it seems to be ignored .

How can I set it in the opt file ?

Also the mount point used is incorrect , I wish to use a different one instead of the default C:\mnt and the type should be "FULLVM"

Where Can I find all the "opt" options related to VM I can use ?

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>dsmc backup vm -optfile=dsm_servercd3vm.opt

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface

Client Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.1

Client date/time: 03/09/2009 13:44:18

(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2008. All Rights Reserved.

Node Name: SERVERCED3_VM

Session established with server SERVERTSM: Windows

Server Version 5, Release 5, Level 1.1

Server date/time: 03/09/2009 13:44:18 Last access: 03/09/2009 13:44:02

Backup VM command started. Total number of virtual machines to process: 1

Backup of Virtual Machine 'serverced3'

Mount virtual machine disk on backup proxy for VM 'serverced3'

Executing Operating System command or script:

vcbMounter -h serversma.xxxxxx.com -u serversma\vcadm -p **** -a ipaddr:serverced3.xxxx.com -r C:\mnt\tsmvmbackup\filelevel\serverced3 -t file

Current working directory: C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient

HOSTINFO: Seeing AMD CPU, numCoresPerCPU 4 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 4 total cores, and 4 logical CPUs.

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Subject mismatch: VMware vs serversma.xxx.com

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: The remote host certificate has these problems:

• The host name used for the connection does not match the subject name on the host certificate

• A certificate in the host's chain is based on an untrusted root.

SSLVerifyIsEnabled: failed to read registry value. Assuming verification is disabled. LastError = 0

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Error: Could not find virtual machine specified by ipaddr:serverced3.xxxx.com

Finished command. Return code is: 1

ANS9265E Failure mounting Virtual Machine 'serverced3' with vcbMounter command. RC=1

ANS9264E Incremental backup of Virtual Machine 'serverced3' failed with RC 1

Backup VM command complete

Total number of virtual machines backed up successfully: 0

Total number of virtual machines failed: 1

virtual machine serverced3

Total number of virtual machines processed: 1

C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient>

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Again..Check the config.js file. It is located under %ProgramFIles%\Vmware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\config

All of the settings you are looking to change are listed in that file.

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I've already double-checked the config.js file in the <VCB>\config dir

in the file I've uncommented the following

BACKUPROOT="f:\mnt";

But nothing change .

Moreover I found another post in the ADSM.org forum , which is quit old but already referring to BA 5.5 that states the VCB integration is only for File level backup and that the c:\mnt path is hard-coded.

For FULL-VM is still required the use of pre and post scripts

do you confirm that ?

thanks

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It may be hard coded in TSM, but it is NOT hard coded in the VCB Framework. It will DEFAULT to c:\mnt if you do not set the value in config.js.

What you need to do, however, is use a "double backslash" instead of a single backslash. So the config.js line should look like this:

[code}

BACKUPROOT="f:\\mnt";

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
sc_2111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry I mispelled it when posting

it was already set with double \

BACKUPROOT="f:
mnt";

If , as you say , it should read the config.js file it should also be possible to make a FULLVM backup , without using pre and post commands .

Did you manage to do it ?

thanks

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What I said was "It may be hard coded in TSM, but it is NOT hard coded in the VCB Framework."

I have not tried the newer version of TSM to confirm how it works.

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
WindiS972
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Just installed a VCB Proxy with TSM 6.1 Server and Client and only had time to send a few test "dsmc backup vm" command to see that it worked....

Also had the "ipadress/name" issue and the destination is "C:
mnt" even if changed in the config.js file. But there's (new in TSM 6.1 ?) a dsm.opt parameter that could help: vmbackdir. I'll try it and tell you.

One thing still hurts me: when saving a "normal" host with TSM, you define mgmt policies and domains. During the save process, the node(s) belonging to a domain see their data sent to the storage pool defined in the mgmt policy. And if the stg pool (Diskpool for example) becomes to grow, the next storage pool defined (say Ltopool) gets the data.

This situation doesn't seem to be the case with VCB. The small i saw (and understood...) is that the VM files are copied to c:
mnt and... that's all. What brings then the "dsmc" command more than the raw "vcBmounter.exe" ?

I would like the mgmt policies defined on node "VCB" be applied and the VM files been sent first to my disk stgpool and then to the tape pool, accrdingly to TSM's configuration.

Thanks for your comments,

Yan

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The process SHOULD be to copy the VM to the mount point and then to tape, diskpool, whatever. TSM may consider the mount point as the final destination disk pool if you are not backing up to tape. I haven't used TSM in quite some time

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
WindiS972
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dave,

The TSM 6.1 vmbackdir parameter enables to indicate the VM file destination. It overrides the default c:\mnt. And the backup vm command sends, after the vcmounter task, the files to TSM.

But, according to documentation, vmbackdir could pe placed in dsm.opt file, but TSM client fails to start.

Yan

0 Kudos