VMware Cloud Community
Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

VCB 1.1 and NetBackup 5.1

I'm running VC2.5 with VCB1.1 and ESX 3.0.2 servers. I have Netbackup 5.1. I'm trying to get VCB working in my environment with the Netbackup Integration Module for ESX 3.0.2.

The Netbackup script fails when calling:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\netbackup>cscript /nologo "%VCBBASE%\netbackup\command.wsf" -pre "%VCBBASE%" VMware-1

Unknown error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Exit Code: -2147024894

I've confirmed that VCB is working by using vcbmounter and the pre-command.wsf script in the ../generic directory.

I've triple checked my config.js files. I added the following entries to the config.js file in the netbackup directory (even though I shouldn't have had to):

/*

• Veritas NetBackup specific configuration options. Can also be used

• to override default options in "config.js"

*/

BACKUPROOT="C:
mnt";

/*

• NetBackup installation path. - If unset, the default value is obtained

• from the registry. If Veritas NetBackup was installed properly, you

• should not need to set this.

*/

VNBU_INSTALL_PATH="C:
Program Files
VERITAS
NetBackup";

/*

• Veritas NetBackup's job file directory. The pre command creates

• a job config file that is subsequently used by the post command.

• If no value is specified, your temporary folder is used.

*/

VNBU_JOBFILE_DIR="C:
Windows
Temp";

This problem is similar to the one described here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/88708?tstart=0

I'm not sure I understood the solution there, but I tried what I could, to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that the rich text editor munges the double back-slashes. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

Does it actually fail with that exact error message?

If so - then most probably it is not able to find and apply the %VCBBASE% environment variable.

That is added to the VCB servers environment variables as part of the VCB install.

If it isn't there I guess either the VCB install did not complete sucessfully - or it has been removed afterwards?

I'd reinstall VCB to be on the safe side.

You can check the env variables by logging on to the vcb server, running a cmd window, then type "set" - that should list all the env variables - including VCBBASE.

Dinny

0 Kudos
Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

Dinny, thanks for the response.

Yes, that's the exact error message.

%VCBBASE% is set correctly. In fact, when I mess with it I get:

Invalid VCB path: c:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup (Did you move the VCB install directory to another location?)

Exit Code: 15

I could reinstall VCB... but I don't think the problem is with VCB. The VCB commands work, it's the Netbackup Integration Module that's failing.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Exactly what do you have in your netbackup policy for the backup selection?

Can you attach the full contents of any pre and post logs for this backup from c:\windows\temp on the VCB server (I'm presuming it gets as far as producing them?)

Dinny

PS - off home now - but will look at any reply tomorrow...

0 Kudos
Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

Dinny,

The exact backup selection in the Netbackup policy is:

c:\mnt\cerberus-FullVM

Everyone can resolve the cerberus name. I've tried adding or removing the fqdn without change. Further test shows it doesn't matter what I put here. It never gets that far.

Full contents of the pre_*.log file is:

Unknown error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Exit Code: -2147024894

The netbackup\pre-command.bat file calls:

cscript /nologo "%VCBBASE%\netbackup\command.wsf" -pre "%VCBBASE%" %arg%

This is the command that's failing. It doesn't matter what I give as %arg%. command.wsf is calling several other scripts as far as I can tell:

<script language="JScript.Encode" src="../config/config.js"/> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="config.js"></script> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="version.js"></script> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="../generic/utils.js"></script> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="../generic/glue.js"></script> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="veritas.js"></script> <script language="JScript.Encode" src="command.js"></script>

Unfortunately, I don't know which of these sub-scripts is generating the error message. I've opened each and searched for "The system cannot find" to no avail. Which leads me to believe it's a cscript error.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hi John,

If it's any consolation I run VCB OK in a very similar config to you:

VC 2.02, VCB 1.1, ESX 3.02 and NB 5.1mp3

The only file that I need to amend is the /config/config.js

How far does it get before it fails?

Does it create the snapshot (check via VI client)

Does it mount the snapshot in c:\mnt

Or does it fail before that.

One problem I do remember getting was when I used an ID with special characters in the password - the scripts didn't like that - but I don't think that generated the error you are getting anyway.

Are you running Netbackup as a media server on the VCB server or just as a client?

(again I'm leaving shortly - but can reply tomorrow...)

Dinny

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

Just had another thought...

If you are only running the NB client, that is not sufficient - you also need to install the Netbackup administration console.

As the integration framework scripts rely on bpplinclude.exe - which is not installed by just the NB client.

I suspect this could be your problem?

Dinny

Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dinny, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Only the NBU client is installed currently.

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

Am pretty sure that will be the problem then.

Fingers crossed....

Please remember to award points if it is Smiley Happy

Dinny

0 Kudos
jtang1013
Contributor
Contributor

you will also need to modify bp.conf on the master server

server=vcbproxyservername

otherwise bpllinclude will fail to run on the client

Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

Well, we've made some progress. No longer getting the "The system cannot find the file specified" error... But it's still not working.

Running the pre-command.bat file generates a log file with... nothing in it. And nothing happens. No VMware snapshotting, nothing at all as far as I can tell. Providing an invalid policy will log an error "Failed to retreive job's selection list", so it looks like the bpplinclude command is working (and I can run it it by its own successfully).

Running the backup itself from Netbackup (so all the pre and post stuff happens) generates a pre log with nothing in it and a post log with the error "Job "VMware" does not exist." (VMware is the name of my policy.) The Netbackup job will error with "none of the files in the file list exist(71)".

This implies there's something wrong with my selection list. I've changed it several times now -- adding and removing fqdns, changing fqdns -- to no avail.

I'll keep poking at it, but I might not get any quality time with it until Monday.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

0 Kudos
Balasarius
Contributor
Contributor

Well, after losing too much hair and reading too much jscript (which I could only barely understand), I finally got it to work.

Solution?

Even though I'm running ESX Server 3.0.2, the solution was to download and install the Netbackup Integration Module for ESX Server 3.5.

Installing the Admin console was also key in the solution.

Thanks again, guys.

0 Kudos