VMware Cloud Community
hfourie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCB 1.0.3 Questions

Hi All,

Please excuse if im slow, but im having a mare of time getting vcb to work. Im quite new to esx and just cant figure out the vcb thing.

I have my datastores on iscsi LUNS and have installed vcb framework on my Win2003 Proxy Server.

I cant seem to find easy scripts how to do this, as im completely clueless on this. Could somebody please point me to some easy examples on how to write those scripts. I want to make backups of the VM's to disk, and then to tape. I have Backup Exec to do the backup part.

ALso, I have looked/played with esXpress to do the VM backups. VERY NICE. Would you guys recommend VCB or esXpress/ESXRanger??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can do this with VCB no worries.

Write a batch file that calls the vcbMounter.exe command. The basic usage is:

vcbMounter -h <<server name>> -u <<username>> -p <<password>> -a name:<<VM name>> -t fullvm -m <<nas | san>>

<<servername>> can be an ESX host, or a virtual center server. Naturally, use a username and password appropriate to the server.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Scripting VCB is as simple or complex as you want to make it.

The basic configurations are available in the VM Backup guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vm_backup.pdf starting on page 31.

To actually run a job, add the string "pre-command.bat " to the same section.

acr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

id drive VCB with esxRanger.. Nice product..

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can do this with VCB no worries.

Write a batch file that calls the vcbMounter.exe command. The basic usage is:

vcbMounter -h <<server name>> -u <<username>> -p <<password>> -a name:<<VM name>> -t fullvm -m <<nas | san>>

<<servername>> can be an ESX host, or a virtual center server. Naturally, use a username and password appropriate to the server.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
hfourie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Got it working now. Got the Cant mount LUN issue, but was because my backup server didnt have visibility of iSCSI LUN.

All working great now, just what I wanted to achieve.

Cheers

0 Kudos