VMware Cloud Community
frank19991999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC 2.x move to a new VC 2.5 server

Hello,

My environment is: 4 ESX 3.0.1 and a VC 2.0. I am planning a migration upgrade to 3.5 , building a VC 2.5 is the first step.

The new VC box will have a different name and IP with the db hosted on a remote SQL 2000 server.

Is anyway I can "reuse" the old database ? Honestly I don't care too much about the old db but if is not complicated why not ?

What about licensing ? I guess I will just have to move the lic file from the VC 2 server to the new VC 2.5 one but I am not sure if that's all (sounds simple, too good to be true Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Frank

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It is okay for you to upgrade from ESX 3.0.x to ESX 3.5 and from VC 2.0.x to VC 2.5 as well. You can upgrade neither ways and its okay. You first have to backup your database and than install SQL on the new server with all latest patches and than restore the database and than install your license server as well. Logon to VI client and update your license server with the new server name.

I would recommend to do fresh install of ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 as well if you don't care about the database. That would be best and make sure update and patch all ESX 3.5 because they released with couple major patches. If your ESX is in a cluster and has DRS, HA and VMotion, than you can migrate all VMs from one ESX to other ESX and than do a fresh install of ESX 3.5 and than migrate the VM back one by one and repeat same procedures until all ESX are installed to the latest.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

firstly while esx version currently is 3.5 and the virtual infrastructure is 3.5 the version number of virtual center is still 2.5. For your upgrade search in the VMware docs and you'll find: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf (page 53).

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It is okay for you to upgrade from ESX 3.0.x to ESX 3.5 and from VC 2.0.x to VC 2.5 as well. You can upgrade neither ways and its okay. You first have to backup your database and than install SQL on the new server with all latest patches and than restore the database and than install your license server as well. Logon to VI client and update your license server with the new server name.

I would recommend to do fresh install of ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 as well if you don't care about the database. That would be best and make sure update and patch all ESX 3.5 because they released with couple major patches. If your ESX is in a cluster and has DRS, HA and VMotion, than you can migrate all VMs from one ESX to other ESX and than do a fresh install of ESX 3.5 and than migrate the VM back one by one and repeat same procedures until all ESX are installed to the latest.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
frank19991999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you right, I meant VC 2.5

somehow I got stuck with 3.5 in my mind

0 Kudos