VMware Cloud Community
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VC 2.5 to VC 2.5 update 1 hosts in disconnected state

Hi All!

After update procedure from VC 2.5. to VC 2.5 update 1 I can't change my hosts state to connected.

Every time i try to return host state to connected I recieve error message "Network copy failed for file"

Please help I don't know what to do?

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
42 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Verify your current VPX agent build version using command below:

rpm -qa |grep vpx

This returned the info like this:

VMware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192

Remove the Vmware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192 using:

rpm -e Vmware-vpxa-2.5.0-64192

I ran the following commands:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

And reconnect your hosts again.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Just a recommendation, if these procedures couldn't get your hosts to reconnect. I would migrate all your VMs to other ESX hosts and build it fresh again takes about 10-15 max instead of spending a lot of times on this issues. If you installed a fresh ESX 3.x and couldn't add to the cluster than it must be something weird make sure to have everything patched to the latest and DNS info is correct.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already tried it.

service vmware-vpxa does not exist

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

sorry for thread jackin... But I have been watching this thread, you have gotten alot of good advice. I'm with Stefan, if you haven't gotten you issue resolved by now, the best bet would be to just rebuild.

0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't migrate any virtual machine because all my hosts in disconnected state.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rebuild what?

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

every single HOST in your VCMS is in a disconnect state? Are you sure this isn't a licensing issue?

0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I'm sure.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Please post the following log files

/var/log/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.log (last ones..1 2 )

/var/log/vmkernel

/var/log/messages

Since you can connect with the client directly is comes down to an agent problem.

Have you removed the host and re-added it to VC using a root signon?

Has the root password changed?

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

We see many problems when the name resolution doesn't work. In that case you can edit your hosts files (on VC and on each Esx and put in all the entries incl. VC server name and ip).

Like this:

192.xx.xx.xx hostname.xxx.yy hostname

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Yes I agree. DNS is a probable cause of this type of issue. Hopefully the logs will tell....

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi...

Here is part of /var/log/messages

May 5 15:02:30 sdim-1 vmware-hostd[1943]: Accepted password for user root from 127.0.0.1

May 5 15:02:36 sdim-1 vmware-hostd[1943]: Accepted password for user root from 127.0.0.1

May 5 15:02:37 sdim1-1 passwd(pam_unix)[2891]: password changed for vpxuser

May 5 15:02:37 sdim-1 vmware-authd(pam_unix)[1943]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=root

file vpxa.log does not exist.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

file vpxa.log does not exist.

In dir /var/log/vmware/vpx ??

0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Directory does not exist too.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Check this:

How do I manually install the VC management agent?

Maybe it works for 2.5 too.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you reinstalled your vpx agent? That directory exists to hold your vpx (virtual center agent) logs. If the agent does not exist, neither will this folder. Download the agent, and perform manual install, as suggested, and rpm using the -vv (two v's not a w) option to get as much debug output as possible, to see if any failure occurred during the install.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

THNX this is a helpful answer.

I solved problem after manual client installation:

vpx-upgrade-esx-y-linux-xxxxx and

aam-upgrade-esx-z-linux-xxxxx,

but this is not a normal solution, because this is manual client installation.

But all many thanks!

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Please mark question as answered if your issue is resolved.

-KjB

0 Kudos
TCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi KjB!

I think this is "fire solution", but problem not solved at all.

VCP3, VCP4
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

lol. Unfortunately, it appears your issue was not typical. Usually, and if you read the forums, you'll see that this is common, and commonly, this issue is resolved quickly by the things we tried in the beginning. Still, you may not have received the "correct" answer yet for what caused the proble, but it would be helpful for others that read the forums looking for answers to similar issues, to know that your particular problem was resolved by the actions you performed.

But, I understand your point.

-KjB

0 Kudos