VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

User Management

Ok, so this is going to be two of the most basic beginner questions ever, but as I have mentioned in other posts, I got my VM envrionment handed to me preconfigured by some one else.

At any rate:

How do I add a user to the "Administrators" group? I havent had any problems adding domain users and assigning roles, however I wanted to add my domain account to the "Administrators" group.

Also, is there anywhere that explains what the pre-configured roles are? For example i have no idea what rights a "VM Power User" has.

Sorry for the beginner questions, but thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK I just read that again and I see what you are asking...if you want VC admin access, then being added to local admins group on server should get you that. However, if you specifically wanted to be added to the "Administrators" role in VC, then just follow the same procedure above to get to the "assign permissions" pop up window. From there, click the Adminstrators role in the drop down menu, then click "add".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I havent had any problems adding domain users and assigning roles, however I wanted to add my domain account to the "Administrators" group.

Well, not sure what you mean by this...but if you want your account to have admin rights in VC, then it needs to be in the local administrators group on the Windows server.

Also, is there anywhere that explains what the pre-configured roles are? For example i have no idea what rights a "VM Power User" has.

If you click anwhere (for ex, on hosts and clusters), go to Permissions tab, right click anywhere in right side pane, choose "add permission...", and the "assign Permissions window pops up. From there, look on right hand side and you will see a drop down list with roles...underneath it you will see what permissions that particular role has. You can customize and create your own roles to whatever you want...just be careful you always have a back door in just in case you lock everyone out. Hope this helps.

IB_IT
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK I just read that again and I see what you are asking...if you want VC admin access, then being added to local admins group on server should get you that. However, if you specifically wanted to be added to the "Administrators" role in VC, then just follow the same procedure above to get to the "assign permissions" pop up window. From there, click the Adminstrators role in the drop down menu, then click "add".

0 Kudos
ronmanu07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For all the explanations on vmware user groups etc...get it from the Admin guides on VMware.com

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep thats exactly what I was trying to do. I didnt know the "Administrators" group was being pulled from the local server. I added my self on the server so I should be good to go. That was my plan for a back door in case my domain account was removed or given restricted permissions for whatever reason. Not trying to be malicious, I just know how the people I work with operate Smiley Happy

And of course it would be that simple to check what the roles are. Got myself and the other users squared away there as well.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos