VMware Cloud Community
mrbochin23
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from ESX Server 3.01 to 3.5

Hi,

We have a ESX server 3.01 in a DELL 2950, all the VMS are in a SAN, we use Virtual infrstrucutre Client to connect and administrate our VMS, we do not use Virtual Center, so my question is, what will be the easiest and smothest way to upgrade from 3.01 to 3.5?

From my understanding it's just a matter of botting up with the VMware 3.5 cd and follow stepts?......can someone help me with straigth intructions for this situation.

Cordially,

Miguel Andujar

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can either upgrade it from the console with an upgrade package or with the CD. It's pretty much what you describe in that the shut the server down and boot the CD. When you boot from the CD you'll have the option to perform an upgrade or a new install. If your setup of ESX is fairly quick to reproduce, then I would suggest the install option. It will be a new install, but you'll have the option to perserve any VMFS partitions so your VMs won't be deleted. You would just have to register them after the install. Page 67 and following here will guide you through the upgrade - . After the upgrade of ESX, you'll want to upgrade VMware Tools in your VMs.

0 Kudos
mrbochin23
Contributor
Contributor

First thank for a quick response, but for what you telling me. If I upgrade, from 3.01 to 3.5 I could delete my vm even though that they are locate it in the SAN?

Once again thanks.

Ps: I would like to upgrade instead of install, can it's any big risk, that something could go wrong?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you upgrade the option to keep (or not keep) your VMFS is not there. The assumption is made that you want to keep your VMFS partitions. If you have multiple servers accessing the same datastore, it's not a bad idea to unplug the host from the SAN for the upgrade. And for any upgrade it's a good idea to backup your VMs regardless of the method that you use.

If you have an FTP site I can send you an AVI of the upgrade.

0 Kudos
mrbochin23
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all your help, I do not have a FTP Server, but can u put it up somewehere or a link from where I could download it, it will be of a great help. To be sure of this, you think it will be better if I just power off the SAN completly will this be safe,

Cordially,

Miguel Andujar

0 Kudos
rabih_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would Vmotion my Vms to other hosts before attempting any upgrade. if you have a cluster setup, put the host in maintenance mode, unplug your SAN cables and then you should be safe.

I would also follow the steps on the guide, you may need to upgrade your VC prior to your ESX hosts.

Good luck

0 Kudos
mrbochin23
Contributor
Contributor

I understand, but we do not have clustering, or vmotion, we just have one ESX server, so, would it be safe to just turn off, the SAN, and upgrade ESX server box, and then turn on the SAN, and boot up, and upgrade the vmtools?

Cordially,

Miguel Andujar

0 Kudos
starz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's no need to turn off the SAN, just remove the host from the Storage Group (that's for an EMC-SAN, there should be a similar term if your SAN is another brand), or unplug the fibre-cables. Do the upgrade, then reconnect the cables (or add the host to the Storage Group). That way you're safe.

If you're doing a new install it's always considered best practice to disconnect the host from the SAN, as the installation can go a bit wrong if you don't. For instance, the first disk should always be named /dev/sda, but if you're doing a new installation with the SAN connected you might end up with something like /dev/sdf, which could result in weird concequences.

So in any way, you'd be better off disconnecting the host from the SAN 🙂

0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion

Do you have VirtualCenter? If so you have to upgrade that to 2.5 first.

1. shut down all VMs

2. Shut down ESX Server

3. Unplug the fiber cables

4. Power on server and put in the ESX 3.5 CD

5. Select Upgrade when it asks if you want to upgrade or do a new install

6. Everything else is basically clicking "next"

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
VBDINO
Contributor
Contributor

Personnaly, I would choose to unplug a ESX server from the SAN, only after moving all VMs (running or not) to another ESX host. At least, ESX won't try to find the VMs that was inventoried for this host.

I just read the update manual and I wish there was another revision just for upgrading from 3.0x to 3.5, including different scenarios.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> 1. shut down all VMs

> 2. Shut down ESX Server

> 3. Unplug the fiber cables

> 4. Power on server and put in the ESX 3.5 CD

> 5. Select Upgrade when it asks if you want to upgrade or do a new install

> 6. Everything else is basically clicking "next"

succinct yet precise. efficient reply.

0 Kudos
Buck_Brown
Contributor
Contributor

What if the VM's are not on a SAN. The current setup I am working with is just one ESX 3.01 server which all host are on the local server. Is it still safe to upgrade? How would you approch this?

0 Kudos
VBDINO
Contributor
Contributor

If you could temporaly add a new vmfs volume, you could clone your VMs on it. Depending of what hardware you have, you could then remove the volume without disrupting the data on it. It can be later on, reassociated to your ESX and then reinventory each VM.

That would be one quick form of safety backup.

When doing an upgrade, I check mostly for elements that would not have been tested properly by VMWare. One exemple, in our installation, the local group Administrators has no rights in Virtual Center. Because I am not using a default configuration, I will re-authorize this local group before upgrading Virtual Center.

I am using DRS and HA, so I will look for information about coexistance between 3.01 and 3.5 within the same cluster. For exemple, a VM with the VMtools v3.5, how does it perform on ESX 3.01. Things like that are not mentionned in the upgrade guide. You will notice that there are more text about upgrading from 2.5 so it kind of incomplete.

Another example is upgrading to solve a problem. That problem could create another one while upgrading. So the closer you are to a clean default configuration, the best chance you have that it will work fine.

I am currently running ESX 3.01 on a couple of servers and because they work fine, the only reason I will upgrade is to keep up with the new versions. But I will do that only around april. I like to wait for the first few fixes. If nothings major, then it is a good to time to move. Meanwhile, I watch this forum and prepare my todo list.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

What are your upgrade drivers.

Do you need the new features immediately.

I personally would take to time to work with it outside of your production environment if possible.

The paint in still drying on 3.5 and fixes are sure to come relatively soon.

My test system upgrades were clean, SAN connected and all. IBM DS4400 and IBM x346 servers.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
mrbochin23
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, guys, I just followed your instructions and everthing went great.

cordially,

Miguel Andujar

0 Kudos