VMware Cloud Community
Scotimus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrading from 3.0.2 to 3.5

So I'm looking to upgrade to ESX 3.5 And from what I've read this is the procedure I'm going to follow:

1. Backup the Virtual Center Database.

2. Upgrade VirtualCenter 2.0.x to VirtualCenter 2.5.

3. Upgrade the VirtualCenter database.

4. Use VMotion to evacuate virtual machines from the ESX Server 3.0.x host.

5. Backup the ESX service console filesystems

6. Upgrade the ESX Server 3.0.x to ESX Server 3.5.

7. Use VMotion to move the virtual machines back to the ESX Server host.

8. Upgrade VMware Tools 3.0 to VMware Tools 3.5.

9. Repeat Step 4 through Step 8 for each ESX Server host.

So of course management wont let me upgrade all 4 hosts that we have at once. They want just 1 host done and then wait a 4 weeks to make sure all is well. HA and DRS is enabled for these 4 hosts and I have some questions tha I havent been able to find answers to yet.

1. Can we co-exist with 3.0.X and 3.5 safely for a few weeks after upgrading VirtualCenter and a host?

2. How would we revert back to VirtualCenter 2.0 if we have problems?

3. What patches need to be installed before we upgrade? I ask this because we are several patches behind. Do I need to worry about getting the current host up to date? Or will the upgrade to 3.5 take care of that? Or should I not bother with an upgrade and do a clean install of 3.5? (Sorry this one had multiple questions in it.)

Thanks so much for any info!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMvareUpgrade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Man,

This is the check list that you have to follow as you have HA, VMotion and DRS configured:

To perform the upgrade

1-Upgrade VirtualCenter 2.0.x to VirtualCenter 2.5.

2-Upgrade the VirtualCenter database.

3-Place the ESX Server host into maintenance mode.

4-Wait until the software evacuates all the virtual machines from the ESX Server host.

5-Upgrade the ESX Server 3.0.2 host to ESX Server 3.5.

6-Add the upgraded ESX Server to the DRS cluster.

7-Repeat Step 3 through Step 6 for each ESX Server host.

a-About your question, as so far that I'm in the VMware ESX technology, you can use the version 3.0.X and the version 3.5 in the same time.

b-About the way that you would like to come back to the previous version if something going wrong: I don't really think so. So, be sure of your plan before to try to do something.

Cheers

|The Best Guy

|MSc in IT, University of Evry

|MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix)

|Paris-France

|The Best Guy |MSc in IT, University of Evry |MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix) |Paris-France

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you should be fine to coexist with 3.02 and 3.5 hosts just make sure you upgrade virtual center first.

I'd say go for a clean install if you can. Otherwise just upgrade to 3.5 no need to patch first, only after with the latest 3.5 patches.

As far as going back to virtual center 2.0, guess you'd restore your database somewhere and then point the installation of 2.0 to that restore.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Can we co-exist with 3.0.X and 3.5 safely for a few weeks after upgrading VirtualCenter and a host?

yes, but make sure you don't upgrade the VMware Guest Tools unitl all your hosts are at their final build level

2. How would we revert back to VirtualCenter 2.0 if we have problems?

reinstall, that is your backout plan. Just make sure you have a good backup of your DB.

3. What patches need to be installed before we upgrade? I ask this because we are several patches behind. Do I need to worry about getting the current host up to date? Or will the upgrade to 3.5 take care of that? Or should I not bother with an upgrade and do a clean install of 3.5? (Sorry this one had multiple questions in it.)

Going from 3.0.x to 3.5 is a major update. I wouldn't do a conventional upgrade, if it was me, I would rebuild all my ESX hosts from scratch.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I full agree with Troy, I'd rather do a rebuild. Do it scripted, take your time. And indeed don't forget to delay the install of VMware tools til you upgraded every single host.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have been seeing now with update manager that you can perform esx upgrades with update manager, even with the new vsphere. My question is in the past it has been recommend or a best practice to detach your servers from the SAN store while doing the upgrades, does that still hold true?

0 Kudos
VMvareUpgrade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Man,

This is the check list that you have to follow as you have HA, VMotion and DRS configured:

To perform the upgrade

1-Upgrade VirtualCenter 2.0.x to VirtualCenter 2.5.

2-Upgrade the VirtualCenter database.

3-Place the ESX Server host into maintenance mode.

4-Wait until the software evacuates all the virtual machines from the ESX Server host.

5-Upgrade the ESX Server 3.0.2 host to ESX Server 3.5.

6-Add the upgraded ESX Server to the DRS cluster.

7-Repeat Step 3 through Step 6 for each ESX Server host.

a-About your question, as so far that I'm in the VMware ESX technology, you can use the version 3.0.X and the version 3.5 in the same time.

b-About the way that you would like to come back to the previous version if something going wrong: I don't really think so. So, be sure of your plan before to try to do something.

Cheers

|The Best Guy

|MSc in IT, University of Evry

|MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix)

|Paris-France

|The Best Guy |MSc in IT, University of Evry |MCSE(Microsoft), CCA(Citrix) |Paris-France
0 Kudos
Scotimus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I totally forgot to reply to this. just wanted to say thanks for all the help. the steps listed worked no problem.

0 Kudos